Rooster has swollen foot after bob cat attack

candy023

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
I am wanting to know if anyone has advice on caring for my rooster after a bob cat attack. Fortunately all he did was rip out his tail feathers before biting him on the foot. Now it is swollen, and he limps when he walks on it. Do I need to be giving him antibiotics to ward off infection?

I had a hen with a sore foot. Not as bad as yours though. I put her in a cage inside so she couldnt walk on much to give it a rest. In your case I would clean it and put neosporin without pain reliever on it. You can give antibotics if you want but most times the neosporin is all thats needed. I would give him some electrolye/vitamin water for the stress and some cooked eggs. And keep him in til he is better. Good luck.

Think about the teeth of any animal. Disgustingly filthy with bits of dinner stuck between them. When your rooster was bit the teeth pretty much 'injected' all that bacteria into the foot. The wound closed up and now it's the perfect warm and wet environment for all kinds of nasty things to grow. The injury has to be opened and cleaned out and antibiotics have to be started right away. Don't just choose any antibiotic. You need a specific one for the type of infection he has. If you use one that will not work on the infection and then try another one you will just make his infection worse.

If you cut the wound open your self please wear gloves and something to shield your eyes. It is probably staph and it could make you seriously ill also. That's all you need is a little infected blood or pus to get on any small opening on your skin (even a cut cuticle) and you could come down with staphylococcus.

This is worth a trip to a vet or at least a call to make sure you get proper medication and dosage.

Back
Top Bottom