Rooster hasn't eaten in Two Days

RedJasper

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Mid to Upstate New York
I have a 2.5 year old Rooster who, up until Sunday night, seemed absolutely fine. Yesterday when he was let out of his cage, he just walked out, not his usual "rearing to go" self. He walked over to our empty coop (we no longer have hens due to a Bear and nobody wanted my sweet boy), parked himself in a nesting box and stayed there all day...not eating or drinking. Last night, he drank water and went back in the coop. As of now, he still has not had water or food.
He hasn't had his girls around for about 2 months now, so it shouldn't be a "depression" issue. I have tried offering tomatoes or foods that used to make him do his "happy" cluck, but nothing.

Any suggestions? I did give him some brown rice pasta with a touch of alfredo sauce on them sunday.

I don't know what a chicken's memory span is purported to be scientifically, but I would assert that it surely could be depression, especially if it has led his immune system to be compromised. He's coping not only with the loss of his flock, but I'm assuming with a new living space and a new daily routine. It's hard on a chicken to be alone too, it's contrary to their survival instinct. Has he crowed at all lately? Do you have any other pets?

Up until yesterday morning, Red was completely fine. We spend a LOT of time with him, almost more time with him than the dog. I pick him up everyday for a few minutes, give him lots of treats. If i could potty train him, I would let him stay in the house. It's been about two months since the hens left. I am heartbroken for him. I would love to send him to a home with chickens, but I don't trust he won't be used for food.

Did you ever think about getting him a couple young hens or pullets to keep him company? By returning to the coop and staying in the nest boxes, he is telling you that he needs friends and that he misses his old ones. I would get him a couple ladies :)

Back
Top Bottom