Rooster having problems walking

henryviii

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
I bought my rooster a little over a month ago at an auction. Soon after I got him into his new home, I noticed he had problems walking. At first, it seemed like it was just one leg that was giving him problems - his toes would suddenly curl under and he would wobble and fall over. He still managed to get around his house and yard, but just this past week, it seems like his other leg has also lost its stability. He still eats and drinks, but takes a lot of tumbles. In the past 2 days, he has also developed a growth on the side of his neck - could the two be connected somehow?
Anyone out there know why this could be happening? Does he have a disease? Was he born this way? Is there any type of vitamin I can give him? It's heartbreaking watching him try to get around, but he doesn't seem to be in any pain.
Any information would be greatly appreciated....thanks!
sad.png

Could it be Mareks? I think it causes paralysis-like symptoms and tumors--that could be the lump. There is no cure for Mareks.

Vitamin B2-toes curved inward, paralysis

'Of all the nutrients,chickens are most likely to be deficient in vitamins A, D and B2'...The Chicken health Handbook by Gail Damerow

Make sure he has lots of fresh water,

leafy greens,grass, milk are sources of B2

Might give a little Vitamin C for extra stress of moving(ascorbic acid)

a "small" amt of cod liver oil (only 5% of feed) for vit D

or AD and E powder

Or just a good cage bird vitamin in a small amt. and lots of water

Back
Top Bottom