Rooster Help - Aggressive or Just Learning

Hello BYC!

Thank you to the articles on roosters and flock management - they have kept me from posting here 86 times! @Pyxis @Redhead Rae

I have a mixed flock of 13.

4 - Lavender Orps: 14 months
1 - Buff Orp: I think 4 years. We adopted her and her sister…
1 - Ameracuana: Jeannie is sisters with Buff. Also about 4 years.

These 6 all cruise together and the lavs joined these two last year. They are finally friends.

In April, we bought 7 new chicks from NPIP breeder in RI. We have a mix, not sure the breeder knew the breeds. 3 EE, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Brahma, 1 Barnyard Mix, and 1 Grey chicken. Sapphire Gem maybe?

This flock has been with the “big” girls since week 6. Still working on being friends - they are very scared of the big girls, but the big girls tend to ignore them.

Brahma is a roo. 1 EE is a roo.
EE’s name is Derek. He has recently started getting his hormones and has been trying to mount the others (not the bigs). I know from the articles, some said it’s hard to watch, but it’s part of the process. He’ll learn to be more gentle.

I gave Derek some passes. We also had a close call with a hawk (they free range) and guess who runs out on high alert to protect? Derek. Another pass.

Today, Derek went after two girls, the other EEs. One, he chased so much she was in an outright panic. He corned her in the fenced in garden and after he “mated” she was in shock. She let me pick her up and her little legs and wings were limp. She was terrified. She sat with me for over a half hour (she never lets us near her). Finally had her eating and drinking. Strike 1. Big strike.

Then he went after the second EE, and she fought so much and tried to escape. She got up right after but then ran and hid the rest of the afternoon. Even coaxing her with treats wouldn’t get her to come out. We kept Derek away from her after that. Strike 2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to accept that this is how the rooster works and he’ll get better?

He hasn’t shown any aggression to me, my husband, my dog…just when trying to mate his girls. They aren’t even mature yet!

TLDR:

How do you know when a roo just won’t work. If the girls are terrified of him, (one was slightly in shock today after a mating attempt), does that not bode well for him?

Thank you!

First Pic: Leslie after Derek scared her half to death
Second: OG crew
Third: Derek, Two EE behind him to the right
Fourth: Roo Brahma, Leslie, Doggo, Baryard Mix
Update:

Today I went to let everyone out…our neighbors Bengal was over so everyone was freaking out. Where is Derek? Chasing down an EE and scaring her half to death. I caught him and put him in the run solo. Now both littles and bugs are hanging out. The littles are actually foraging for food! I feel like this is how a happy flock should behave? Maybe he just needs a time out, so I’m willing to work with him, but with the eating and scarfing food down before the girls, tidbiting nothing to lure them so he can catch them, it’s not boding well for the big guy.

Thank you again for all the help.

Kelsey

Leslie challenging Brahma. The littles actually being chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_5682.jpeg
    IMG_5682.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
the big girls/ Roo will teach him the rules. Let the big girls beat the stink off him.
Yes. I'm just learning about roosters and cockerels as well, but this matches my experience. Put the hormonal cockerel in with the big girls. If he's afraid of them, he should be. They will teach him how to behave better than any human can. (Just make sure he gets enough to eat, you may have to feed him separately or referee meal times to make sure he eats

Hello BYC!

Thank you to the articles on roosters and flock management - they have kept me from posting here 86 times! @Pyxis @Redhead Rae

I have a mixed flock of 13.

4 - Lavender Orps: 14 months
1 - Buff Orp: I think 4 years. We adopted her and her sister…
1 - Ameracuana: Jeannie is sisters with Buff. Also about 4 years.

These 6 all cruise together and the lavs joined these two last year. They are finally friends.

In April, we bought 7 new chicks from NPIP breeder in RI. We have a mix, not sure the breeder knew the breeds. 3 EE, 1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Brahma, 1 Barnyard Mix, and 1 Grey chicken. Sapphire Gem maybe?

This flock has been with the “big” girls since week 6. Still working on being friends - they are very scared of the big girls, but the big girls tend to ignore them.

Brahma is a roo. 1 EE is a roo.
EE’s name is Derek. He has recently started getting his hormones and has been trying to mount the others (not the bigs). I know from the articles, some said it’s hard to watch, but it’s part of the process. He’ll learn to be more gentle.

I gave Derek some passes. We also had a close call with a hawk (they free range) and guess who runs out on high alert to protect? Derek. Another pass.

Today, Derek went after two girls, the other EEs. One, he chased so much she was in an outright panic. He corned her in the fenced in garden and after he “mated” she was in shock. She let me pick her up and her little legs and wings were limp. She was terrified. She sat with me for over a half hour (she never lets us near her). Finally had her eating and drinking. Strike 1. Big strike.

Then he went after the second EE, and she fought so much and tried to escape. She got up right after but then ran and hid the rest of the afternoon. Even coaxing her with treats wouldn’t get her to come out. We kept Derek away from her after that. Strike 2.

Is this normal? Do I just need to accept that this is how the rooster works and he’ll get better?

He hasn’t shown any aggression to me, my husband, my dog…just when trying to mate his girls. They aren’t even mature yet!

TLDR:

How do you know when a roo just won’t work. If the girls are terrified of him, (one was slightly in shock today after a mating attempt), does that not bode well for him?

Thank you!

First Pic: Leslie after Derek scared her half to death
Second: OG crew
Third: Derek, Two EE behind him to the right
Fourth: Roo Brahma, Leslie, Doggo, Baryard Mix
Separating cockerels from the pullets will prevent abuse.Its normal for a cockerel force a pullet to mate

He’s been great! I know they mature slow, but he is so good with the girls.

We could probably put a divider back up and keep the cockerels on one side and all the girls on the other.

I could also just let him out with the hens and see if that helps. I’m willing to try if we think there is a chance it’s just his hormones making him act like this. It was just so sad seeing Leslie limp. The other one ran right to me too, and they are not “lap” chickens like the lavenders. They would prefer we keep our distance so I know they are stressed. They barely have full crops at night. I have to feed them separate.
I added my 2 cockerels to the flock over a period of a couple days to make the transition easier (from pullets to older hens) Luckily for them I don't have a mature rooster.They have a big fenced yard with a kiddy pool, shrubs, trees, nooks and hiding places .One my biggest hens drop kicked a cockerel yesterday after he picked a fight with the other cockerel.(Priceless!) Older hens will humble them.

I am going to add another strike to the EE rooster - I am surprised that no one else mentioned it. But it is the picture where he is quite close to your foot. A lot of people see that as being friendly. But it is a forerunner to be bold, and an indicator that he has no respect for your space.

I would not be surprised if this cockerel becomes aggressive towards people. I do not want a rooster that is in a panic when I am near, but I do want one that does not come into my space, and gives me a nice 5-6 foot area of respect.

The thing is sometimes people think, these are the cockerels I was given by the Gods so to speak and therefore we need to keep them. Truth is, a lot of roosters do not work out. Neither of these rooster might work out. If they don't, remove them.

If you want a rooster, and these don't work out - ask at 4-H clubs, poultry clubs, or at the feed store. Often times there are really nice roosters, that have not been culled, because they are so darn nice. What you want is someone who would cull a mean rooster, that has an extra, raised up in a multi-generational flock.

So know - the second one might work out, might not. You are not required to keep a rotten one, even if you did raise it. There are other birds out there.

Mrs K

Yes. I'm just learning about roosters and cockerels as well, but this matches my experience. Put the hormonal cockerel in with the big girls. If he's afraid of them, he should be. They will teach him how to behave better than any human can. (Just make sure he gets enough to eat, you may have to feed him separately or referee meal times to make sure he eats
Thank you! Are you having success with this?

Today he’s been in the run solo all day while everyone free ranges. So I’m acting roo and shuttling them back and forth to lay eggs 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom