Rooster help please!!!

DelR

Chirping
Nov 17, 2020
Hello! I have one silkie rooster and two silkie hens. My rooster is a TALKER. All hours of the day he is crowing, and we are worried because we live in a neighborhood. I give them seeds throughout the day, and they have a coop that’s inside a dog run, and I let them run free both days of the weekend and sometimes during the week. Luckily, no complaints yet, but there could be. I’ve done so much research and I don’t know what to do, I want to do anything I can to keep my little guy.

Anything? How about this?

Walk down your street and stop every so often and listen for your rooster. When you can no longer hear him, turn around and work your way back, stopping at each neighbor's. Knock on the door and ask them if the rooster crowing is annoying to them. Offer to get rid of him if his noise offends them. Do this at each house within sound of the crowing.

I'm pretty sure you will find that it's not a problem. Even if a neighbor finds him sightly annoying, they probably won't have the courage to admit it. But, hey, you offered!

This is as much for your benefit as it is for the neighbors. You will feel satisfied you did something, and your neighbors will be impressed you're such a terrific neighbor and you're concerned for their comfort. Why am I so sure this will be the outcome? Because if anyone was angry over the noise, it would have gotten back to you by now. Now, having made this effort, you can rest easy knowing you have all the neighbors on your side and you can enjoy your chickens with a clear conscience.

Anything? How about this?

Walk down your street and stop every so often and listen for your rooster. When you can no longer hear him, turn around and work your way back, stopping at each neighbor's. Knock on the door and ask them if the rooster crowing is annoying to them. Offer to get rid of him if his noise offends them. Do this at each house within sound of the crowing.

I'm pretty sure you will find that it's not a problem. Even if a neighbor finds him sightly annoying, they probably won't have the courage to admit it. But, hey, you offered!

This is as much for your benefit as it is for the neighbors. You will feel satisfied you did something, and your neighbors will be impressed you're such a terrific neighbor and you're concerned for their comfort. Why am I so sure this will be the outcome? Because if anyone was angry over the noise, it would have gotten back to you by now. Now, having made this effort, you can rest easy knowing you have all the neighbors on your side and you can enjoy your chickens with a clear conscience.
Thank you! I’ll do this

If no one has complained and he's not bothering you then don't borrow trouble.

When I had my in-town flock with a rooster the neighbor on one side liked to hear him because he'd grown up on a farm. The other neighbor figured that they didn't mind our rooster if we didn't mind their muscle car.

Towns are noisy places. A rooster isn't usually as loud as the usual lawnmowers, stereo systems, power tools, motorcycles, etc.

I got my rooster to annoy my neighbors, just kidding. I only had one A-hole neighbor ask me do you really need a rooster? I told him yes, I want chicks. He looked at me with a dumb found look and walked away. Ever since then I rejoice when my rooster crows, 🐓😁😆😅🤣😝

Hello! I have one silkie rooster and two silkie hens. My rooster is a TALKER. All hours of the day he is crowing, and we are worried because we live in a neighborhood. I give them seeds throughout the day, and they have a coop that’s inside a dog run, and I let them run free both days of the weekend and sometimes during the week. Luckily, no complaints yet, but there could be. I’ve done so much research and I don’t know what to do, I want to do anything I can to keep my little guy.
Not much you can do.
Most people dont realize roosters crow at any hour, and especially if they hear other chickens or people taking etc. they answer back.
I keep my roosters locked inside a nice soundproofed enclosure until I let them out for exercise. It works out

You could plant thicker bushes around the dog run. It won’t eliminate the noise, but it could help to muffle it slightly, while they are in the run anyway. Also, make the coop as soundproof as possible and bigger than needed so you can keep them inside that a bit extra in the mornings-I think people mind the crowing less at 7or 8 am vs. 4 or 5am.

Back
Top Bottom