Rooster help!!

One of the meanest roosters I remember was a buff orpington. He would hide and wait for you to walk past him in the path and jump around the corner in full attack mode. It's always easier to start with a bunch so you can weed out the ones you don't like. For pure rooster enjoyment my Asils are always naturally friendly and gentle towards people and have a short deep crow. If they can't hear another rooster they don't crow very often, either. They don't work well in a multiple rooster environment, though, and are not recommended for beginners. Probably want to stick with something like a cochin bantam or silkie if you have bantam hens.

I currently have a flock of 8 hens, I've been hesitant on getting a rooster simply because the the crowing and aggression some can have.. (I was attacked by an aggressive rooster when I was younger, but have since met very wonderful roosters.) My question is what is the most docile breed of rooster that you would recommend? I know all roosters crow, but are there any that maybe arent as vocal as others?? Thanks in advance!
smile.png

I think it's more the individual rooster rather than the breed in choosing a nice rooster. In my experience, those that came up through the flock or were raised with multi generational chickens seem to be better balanced mentally than those who were raised with clutch mates only. With that in mind, rather than take a chance on one sexed chick which may or may not be what you want, you could try to find an adult rooster from someone who just has too many and is trying to rehome a nice one that shows promise.
Someone who grows out their roosters should have a pretty good idea what their temperament is like, and often will look for a home for their better tempered ones. That might be the rooster you want to get.

I think it's more the individual rooster rather than the breed in choosing a nice rooster.  In my experience, those that came up through the flock or were raised with multi generational chickens seem to be better balanced mentally than those who were raised with clutch mates only.  With that in mind, rather than take a chance on one sexed chick which may or may not be what you want, you could try to find an adult rooster from someone who just has too many and is trying to rehome a nice one that shows promise.
     Someone who grows out their roosters should have a pretty good idea what their temperament is like, and often will look for a home for their better tempered ones.  That might be the rooster you want to get.

That is very good advice! Thank you so much! I am maxed out on hens and I didn't want to have to get straight run chicks and hope for the best you know. I would much rather find one I know is proven good mannered and see how he'll do with my flock.

That is very good advice! Thank you so much! I am maxed out on hens and I didn't want to have to get straight run chicks and hope for the best you know. I would much rather find one I know is proven good mannered and see how he'll do with my flock.

That is probably the best idea even though I've met a few people from craigslist and wasn't happy when I went to go pick up birds. There was one ad on craigslist named "11 Rhode Island Red Laying Hens." There were only 2 Rhode Island Red hens and the rest were roosters. There were not chicks they were yearlings. The people with a straight face asked me how could I tell the difference between the hens and the roosters.

That is probably the best idea even though I've met a few people from craigslist and wasn't happy when I went to go pick up birds. There was one ad on craigslist named "11 Rhode Island Red Laying Hens." There were only 2 Rhode Island Red hens and the rest were roosters. There were not chicks they were yearlings. The people with a straight face asked me how could I tell the difference between the hens and the roosters.

Lmbo oh my goodness that's funny!!! :)

Lmbo oh my goodness that's funny!!!
smile.png

I just stood their and my brain literally was like, What the? What just happened? Are the serious? Surprisingly I didn't say anything, I was speechless about what they had asked. Even though lately since poultry is like a rare thing here in Southwestern Idaho I get people that know me for my birds and help them out on what sex their chickens are but for young chicks like 1 or 2 month old chicks not yearling chickens. At school I've seriously been pulled out of class to help a teacher teach about birds. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my school district that knows anything about birds. But I'm a bird nerd. That's why my FFA Advisors have put me in charge in teaching students on how to show poultry for fair and if there's a student that has a question on birds they answer with, "Find Jadyn Vetos, ask other teachers where he is or where the bird kid is, look for a Senior wearing leather arm brace and you'll find him or just yell out something about birds." I'm a senior in high school and with me going to college next year my FFA Advisors say I need to find an apprentice to help with poultry questions.

Last edited:
I just stood their and my brain literally was like, What the? What just happened? Are the serious? Surprisingly I didn't say anything, I was speechless about what they had asked. Even though lately since poultry is like a rare thing here in Southwestern Idaho I get people that know me for my birds and help them out on what sex their chickens are but for young chicks like 1 or 2 month old chicks not yearling chickens. At school I've seriously been pulled out of class to help a teacher teach about birds. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my school district that knows anything about birds. But I'm a bird nerd. That's why my FFA Advisors have put me in charge in teaching students on how to show poultry for fair and if there's a student that has a question on birds they answer with, "Find Jadyn Vetos, ask other teachers where he is or where the bird kid is, look for a Senior wearing leather arm brace and you'll find him or just yell out something about birds." I'm a senior in high school and with me going to college next year my FFA Advisors say I need to find an apprentice to help with poultry questions.

Oh wow that's awesome! I work at a vets office and we mainly do dogs, cats and large animals cattle, horses the occasional lama etc lol but not many chickens and I've learned pretty quick about illness and treatment in poultry so now just about everyone comes to me for questions :) and I feel so proud of myself! Lol

Oh wow that's awesome! I work at a vets office and we mainly do dogs, cats and large animals cattle, horses the occasional lama etc lol but not many chickens and I've learned pretty quick about illness and treatment in poultry so now just about everyone comes to me for questions
smile.png
and I feel so proud of myself! Lol

Something you could ask your co workers to try and stump them is, "What color of ear lobes does a brown egg laying chicken have?"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom