Rooster & Hen (13 weeks)- Inseparable! What to do?

kara_aus

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
So I have two gorgeous Australorps which I hatched. They were raised together just the two of them until they were 4/5 weeks old when they joined 2 older hens. Now one is a rooster and it's set to move in with a family friend on property as a pet without other chooks. However, they are still the best of friends and so tame and lovely. They actively will seek out cuddles and jump on your lap together. If one comes, the other will always follow. They sleep next to each other and roam around the garden together. They are sweet hearts.

My question is, would it be cruel to remove the rooster only? Would it be possible to rehome just the 2 of them? I read everywhere that this can make life hard on female. But these guys have already broken so many of the normal rules and this rooster is so tame. Can this work?

Thank you!!!

20201028_084715.jpg
received_347211113234334~2.jpg

Attachments

• received_792061681543405.jpeg
    received_792061681543405.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
So I have two gorgeous Australorps which I hatched. They were raised together just the two of them until they were 4/5 weeks old when they joined 2 older hens. Now one is a rooster and it's set to move in with a family friend on property as a pet without other chooks. However, they are still the best of friends and so tame and lovely. They actively will seek out cuddles and jump on your lap together. If one comes, the other will always follow. They sleep next to each other and roam around the garden together. They are sweet hearts.

My question is, would it be cruel to remove the rooster only? Would it be possible to rehome just the 2 of them? I read everywhere that this can make life hard on female. But these guys have already broken so many of the normal rules and this rooster is so tame. Can this work?

Thank you!!!

View attachment 2391342
Are you certain it's a roo?
What normal rules have they broke, if I may?

Are you certain it's a roo?
What normal rules have they broke, if I may?

100% , it's crowing! Its comb went red quicker and developed a waddle much quicker too.

Well I have never know a chicken or rooster to actively seek out cuddles and never leave until you take them off your lap (rather than just submit which you pick them up for a cuddle). And when one comes for a cuddle, the other will follow and they are perfectly happy for ages just sitting on your lap...

Also the rooster is so friendly, calm and tame. The opposite of the rooster stereotypes of aggressive and nasty to other chickens ha.

They are so precious! How old are they?
Okay, thanks!
Does where you live allow it?

Am I right in thinking they're 'breaking the rules'? Had many a hen (but first rooster)... these two seem unique!

Nope council doesn't allow, that's why it's being rehomed about 1 hour away. Just the question is whether it's even possible to rehome a rooster with 1 hen....

Yes, if they are that close I'd ask the new owner if he/she wants the hen as well.

My hen, Freya, she just lost her brother due to a heart issue or something, yet she was pretty close to him, she is just fine after the loss.

Back
Top Bottom