Rooster hobble

Would you buy a rooster hobble if it was available?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think there is a market... as many backyard keepers deal with aggressive hens as well. Lot's of people keeping stag pens these days to.

My friend told me about this a couple years ago... or at least I thought so, and have recommended it a few times already! I thought it was a great idea. I can see it being fairly effective for SOME birds.

Turns out she meant they just added a zip tie to the leg to make the chicken look "different" than the others.. and said it worked for THEM to take that bird down a notch or two.

The question asked about unrestricted breeding is a GREAT one! :highfive:

I think I would be comfortable pay $10 for a well made quality product that is an alternative to kenneling or putting on a tie out. Meaning leather ankle holders. Maybe $7 for one made from thinner Nylon... as seen on game cock tie outs.

Heck, you could even add a weight to the hobble if needed. Slow 'em down a bit more! :plbb

I mean I won't personally keep an aggressive rooster (or hen). :drool I do what it takes to maintain my flock and it's long term genetics. But there are a lot of people who do keep unruly flock members around. Part of the issue... put out a good product.. everyone wants to DIY it to save 50 cents. :hmm

Good idea, I'd love to see your design. :pop

I think there is a market... as many backyard keepers deal with aggressive hens as well. Lot's of people keeping stag pens these days to.

My friend told me about this a couple years ago... or at least I thought so, and have recommended it a few times already! I thought it was a great idea. I can see it being fairly effective for SOME birds.

Turns out she meant they just added a zip tie to the leg to make the chicken look "different" than the others.. and said it worked for THEM to take that bird down a notch or two.

The question asked about unrestricted breeding is a GREAT one! :highfive:

I think I would be comfortable pay $10 for a well made quality product that is an alternative to kenneling or putting on a tie out. Meaning leather ankle holders. Maybe $7 for one made from thinner Nylon... as seen on game cock tie outs.

Heck, you could even add a weight to the hobble if needed. Slow 'em down a bit more! :plbb

I mean I won't personally keep an aggressive rooster (or hen). :drool I do what it takes to maintain my flock and it's long term genetics. But there are a lot of people who do keep unruly flock members around. Part of the issue... put out a good product.. everyone wants to DIY it to save 50 cents. :hmm

Good idea, I'd love to see your design. :pop

upload_2019-5-7_19-28-12.png

Made out of paracord. The black pieces can be moved to tighten the ends around the legs, and then they lock in place. It's about 9" from end to end, so my rooster has about 6" of slack between his legs.

I imagine there might be a market...not gonna make you a millionaire but <shrugs>
I'm a tinkerer so would find that pretty easy to make if I had a need.
Is cord heat welded? Looks like the only difficult aspect.
Sure there isn't one out there already?
It's pretty cool.
Would love to see pics, or better yet video, of it on a moving bird.

I spent about an hour googling hobbles, but only came up with horse, goat, milking, dog, pig, and pigeon. If someone's selling one already, I couldn't find it. The point isn't to become a millionaire, just supplement my social security. And yeah, you could create your own, but if I price it cheap enough, why would ya? Will try to get a video when it stops raining. We're flooding again in Texas.

View attachment 1767235
Made out of paracord. The black pieces can be moved to tighten the ends around the legs, and then they lock in place. It's about 9" from end to end, so my rooster has about 6" of slack between his legs.
View attachment 1767235
Wonder if this would work for an aggressive tom turkey? I would buy one.

Did you ever decide to market these? I would be interested to know if it would prevent my roosters from breeding in off season so that the hens get a break and their feathers don't get wrecked. Currently I have to separate them. I would also find it useful for a rooster who is mildly aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom