Rooster holding girls hostage

lolson69

Songster
7 Years
Nov 29, 2016
New flock with 5 hens 23 wks and a young rooster who is around the same age. I have an automatic door on the coop. The past few days I noticed Rufus ( rooster) is making the girls stay in the coop. I have to go out and open the big door so they can come out. I suppose they could just be hiding from him too but has anyone else had this happen? At the same time he is now showing aggression towards me. I didn’t raise him so he’s pretty shy and nervous around me. I know he’s protecting his harem but I hope he gets over holding them hostage and trying to get me!!
593F8C36-577A-4D99-8CD0-D79C4496CB79.jpeg

They are probably trying to avoid his mating attempts. His hormones are at an all time high in this teen aged phase. He may get better or his human aggression may very well escalate.

New flock with 5 hens 23 wks and a young rooster who is around the same age. I have an automatic door on the coop. The past few days I noticed Rufus ( rooster) is making the girls stay in the coop. I have to go out and open the big door so they can come out. I suppose they could just be hiding from him too but has anyone else had this happen? At the same time he is now showing aggression towards me. I didn’t raise him so he’s pretty shy and nervous around me. I know he’s protecting his harem but I hope he gets over holding them hostage and trying to get me!! View attachment 2330316
Yes, it's not unusual behaviour as a cockerel tries to establish himself. Let him be. Take any food you have in the coop if applicable and put it in the run. They'll come out when they're hungry.
Try to stay out of the run while he and his hens are out for a while. They're his hens now, not yours.
This article may help you avoid aggressive responses from him.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

They are probably trying to avoid his mating attempts. His hormones are at an all time high in this teen aged phase. He may get better or his human aggression may very well escalate.
It is escalating. In the morning he is full of himself. I’ve had aggressive roosters before but never one who wouldn’t let the hens out. How long will this teenage phase last? I don’t know exactly when he hatched but he’s this Springs baby. They definitely avoid and run from him and he’s pretty aggressive when mating. No blood. I’m hoping he calms down a bit or he make have to be re homed. My buttercups are little and he’s huge.

I may have to. I’m trying to integrate the two flocks. My older hens with the new girls before rains start. I had him in with the older girls but they kicked his butt. He fence fights with them now. So far I have not had them all loose together.
I suppose I could put him in my dog kennel for a while if I can catch him.

Back
Top Bottom