Rooster illness question - worms?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chick n lay dee, Jan 16, 2012.

1. chick n lay dee

chick n lay dee New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    My RRI rooster has been staying behind in the coop. I felt his crop last night and it felt chunky - like a bean bag. He has been hiding in the corner of the barn this AM. He eats and drinks fine. He has been having issues with mites, and I fear they might have progressed into the larvae stage. How do I tell if he is 'impacted' in his crop or if those were worms? How do I treat with Wazine for one bird? (he's HUGE - and has a hard time dusting himself - he's a bit older, and all 'thumbs'). Will he get depressed if I isolate him from the flock? Please help! He's the hero of our yard. Thank you.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can put him in a dog kennel in with the others?

3. chick n lay dee

chick n lay dee New Egg

Jan 16, 2012
    I suppose I could do that. He's also a little shaky - shakes his head a bit as well as a bit shivery - though it is pretty cold here, in the 20's. I checked his stool and it was yellowish - a little white goo in it but those were not worms. Should I assume it's viral and give him antibiotics now, and keep waiting to see any signs of worms? I hate giving medications, but he looks like he needs some sort of help.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by