Rooster illness question - worms?

chick n lay dee

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
My RRI rooster has been staying behind in the coop. I felt his crop last night and it felt chunky - like a bean bag. He has been hiding in the corner of the barn this AM. He eats and drinks fine. He has been having issues with mites, and I fear they might have progressed into the larvae stage. How do I tell if he is 'impacted' in his crop or if those were worms? How do I treat with Wazine for one bird? (he's HUGE - and has a hard time dusting himself - he's a bit older, and all 'thumbs'). Will he get depressed if I isolate him from the flock? Please help! He's the hero of our yard. Thank you.

You can put him in a dog kennel in with the others?

My RRI rooster has been staying behind in the coop. I felt his crop last night and it felt chunky - like a bean bag. He has been hiding in the corner of the barn this AM. He eats and drinks fine. He has been having issues with mites, and I fear they might have progressed into the larvae stage. How do I tell if he is 'impacted' in his crop or if those were worms? How do I treat with Wazine for one bird? (he's HUGE - and has a hard time dusting himself - he's a bit older, and all 'thumbs'). Will he get depressed if I isolate him from the flock? Please help! He's the hero of our yard. Thank you.

I suppose I could do that. He's also a little shaky - shakes his head a bit as well as a bit shivery - though it is pretty cold here, in the 20's. I checked his stool and it was yellowish - a little white goo in it but those were not worms. Should I assume it's viral and give him antibiotics now, and keep waiting to see any signs of worms? I hate giving medications, but he looks like he needs some sort of help.....

Back
Top Bottom