Rooster in my flock

mrb71

Hatching
Oct 16, 2016
I was given eggs from my brother in laws father. My father hatched them out in an incubator. Ended up with 3 roosters and 7 hens. The hens are at a laying age now but only one is laying. I have been told that the three roosters are stressing the hens out too much and that is why they all are not laying? I do not want to get rid of any of the roosters but not sure what I should do. Could I split the coop and outside run in 2 parts to keep the roosters seperate or do they need actual separate pens.Any experienced advice would be great.

Last edited:
While 3 roosters is too much for 7 hens, they may not be the reason the hens aren't all laying yet... but, yes, you can split your coop and run to separate them and I definitely encourage that if you don't want to get rid of 2 of them... just make sure they all still have plenty of space...

Just because they are 'of laying age' doesn't mean they will all start laying at the same time... some start earlier and some start later, no worries... but please do separate at least a couple of the boys...

Back
Top Bottom