rooster in nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Jan 24, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    i looked in my coop today and heard someone in the nesting box making little noises, i looked around and everyone was accounted for but my rooster, so i went in and sure enough he was hanging out in there! any idea why he would be? i shoo-ed him out and there werent any eggs or anything in there, just the egg-like rock i keep in there for them. i thought this was strange! anyone else ever have a roo hang out in the nesting boxes?

cutiepie960 likes this.
  2. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    My head rooster gets in the nest boxes all the time. I really don't know why he's in there, but he is. He makes hen like noises and moves stuff around and settles in for a minutes and then leaves. A lot of the times a hen will go in right after he gets out. Maybe he's warming it up for her like a good man! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I have 1 rooster that does that once in awhile. I just leave him alone. He does not stay long. Maybe they feel like if the hens can why can't we? [​IMG] They love to make us laugh don't they.

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

My head roo does it also, making little noises, scratching around etc.
    My hen that I think is getting close to laying, she has been going in there also, and if he's there when she wants to get in, she'll stand there cackling until he gets out, then she gets in lol. I've started to shoo him out of there, so she has her place ready

5. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My bantam roo does this too....

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It is not at all unusual for a rooster to show a hen a good place to lay. He finds them treats and stands back to let them eat first. He protects them from predators. He maintains order in the flock, breaking up fights. Often a good rooster will help a broody take care of her chicks. And he has to even prepare the nest and show them where to lay! A good rooster's work is never done. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Yup, I've got one who does this also. He stands over his special hens while they lay their eggs, making little clucking noises, then he goes and sets on the egg for a minute, then leaves and looks for the next hen who may be laying, I named him "Abnormal" (Norm) because I found this whole thing to be so odd. But sort of sweet at the same time.

8. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    My alpha rooster does it too. I have photos and a video of him in a nest :)box.

9. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:Me too but I can't find them now. One hen laid an egg in the same nest with my rooster. It was a new nest box and I think the hen felt safer with him in it.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My dominant rooster, quite a big fellow, does this with his special ladies, too. He gets into the nest box, makes cooing sounds, scratches a little bit, turns around, sits a short spell. Then he hops out and makes more comforting sounds while the pullet goes in to check it out. It's almost like he's giving a tutorial and encouraging her. He stands outside until she either lays an egg, at which time he sings The Egg Song. With or without her. If she jumps out without laying, they just exit the coop together.

It is both heartwarming AND a hoot to watch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by