Rooster in San Diego needs new home

You need a Horizon box or similar http://www.hm-e.net/, about $25 per box. Then Express shipping that will run $75-150 depending on weight and distance.

I found the box for $6.60 & shipping for $12. I'll find out tomorrow how much the shipping with be from CA to OK. He's going overnight no matter what it costs...I'd rather pay a little more money to not have him sit in a truck or plane for an extra day. It'll probably be stressful enough for him.

I had read to put in an apple or cucumber sliced in half for moisture just in case he does get stuck somewhere. I was also going to put paper shredding in the bottom to absorb the poop somehwat.

I found the box for $6.60 & shipping for $12. I'll find out tomorrow how much the shipping with be from CA to OK. He's going overnight no matter what it costs...I'd rather pay a little more money to not have him sit in a truck or plane for an extra day. It'll probably be stressful enough for him.

I had read to put in an apple or cucumber sliced in half for moisture just in case he does get stuck somewhere. I was also going to put paper shredding in the bottom to absorb the poop somehwat.
Did you find it here? http://poultry2.tripod.com/id3.html That's a good deal. He will have to be shipped Express, no exception. USPS does not allow priority shipping of any lives except day old poultry.

So you know Express does not always mean overnight. It can take 2-3 days depending on distance. Also, USPS does not handle the whole process. A third party such as FedEx usually handles the actual flight. They transport the birds from/to USPS sorting facilities. FedEx can decide to bump live shipments at times.

Some shavings at the bottom plus apples or corn will help. Shipping costs will still be a lot though. No way around that really. My postmaster said Express fees went up earlier this year. Haven't sent out birds in a while so not sure how much they went up.

Last edited:
Did you find it here? http://poultry2.tripod.com/id3.html That's a good deal. He will have to be shipped Express, no exception. USPS does not allow priority shipping of any lives except day old poultry.

So you know Express does not always mean overnight. It can take 2-3 days depending on distance. Also, USPS does not handle the whole process. A third party such as FedEx usually handles the actual flight. They transport the birds from/to USPS sorting facilities. FedEx can decide to bump live shipments at times.

Some shavings at the bottom plus apples or corn will help. Shipping costs will still be a lot though. No way around that really. My postmaster said Express fees went up earlier this year. Haven't sent out birds in a while so not sure how much they went up.

It was $69.10 to send him from California to Oklahoma. Not too bad, I just hope he gets there safe & sound and on time. I put paper shredding in the bottom, and he's traveling with an apple cut in half & a cucumber cut into quarters. He wasn't happy being in the box, he was trying to break himself out, but I'm sure he'll quiet down eventually and go to sleep. He's supposed to get there by 3pm on Wednesday.

this will be Reuben's view from his coop n run:)

Back
Top Bottom