Rooster in smoker ?

tracimorgan

Hatching
Jun 16, 2015
Morris Illinois
We just recently had to do the deed to our approximately 10 month old rooster he became way too people aggressive and went after my three-year-old son relentlessly we plucked him we and have him in fridge brining right now but our plans are to put him in the smoker tomorrow for several hours Has anyone ever tried to smoke rooster ? all the threads I've seen say slow cookers with liquid or stews

Last edited:
I raised a bunch of Dual Purpose roosters last summer and I smoked several of them to great results. They weren't as old as your bird, but I think you'll be pleased. Smoked chicken tacos are great as are smoked chicken salads and sandwiches.

We just bought a Big Chief smoker at an auction sale to smoke chickens. Good to know that it works well. Did you do them whole and how long does it take?

The timing depends a lot on the size of the bird and the heat of the smoker. I always smoke them whole, hoping to get the internal temperature to about 165 degrees. If it has been longer than about 4 hours I'll take them out and finish them in the oven, because I don't want them to dry out. My favorite is hickory smoke because it has a great strong smokey flavor. However, we usually remove the skin before eating them because the skin is too strongly smoked.

That said, save the skin and the bones and make yourself a nice smoked chicken stock. Add back in a bit of reserved meat, a can of black beans, several ears of grilled corn (grilled on the cob and then the kernels cut off into the pot) plus a grilled red bell pepper and either a serano or poblano pepper and you'll have yourself a to-die-for smokey chicken soup.

Back
Top Bottom