Rooster in soundproof house

BlueGold

Chirping
Jul 14, 2019
Castro valley, CA
i bought a rooster and even with a rooster collar he is a bit loud I was wondering if I put him a big rooster box 6x4x8 and leave him there with windows and only put the chickens I want him to breed with ( meaning I don’t let him out so I’ll be giving chickens so he’s not lonely and everything he needs to have fun) hes a very good rooster and I can’t get rid of him. Is this cruel? It’s a very big cage with windows and everything with lots of toys and hens I’m just wondering if it’s cruel or not? Thank you

i bought a rooster and even with a rooster collar he is a bit loud I was wondering if I put him a big rooster box 6x4x8 and leave him there with windows and only put the chickens I want him to breed with ( meaning I don’t let him out so I’ll be giving chickens so he’s not lonely and everything he needs to have fun) hes a very good rooster and I can’t get rid of him. Is this cruel? It’s a very big cage with windows and everything with lots of toys and hens I’m just wondering if it’s cruel or not? Thank you

You will get many differing replies.
To me, what you are doing to this boy is completely unacceptable. He should be allowed to crow, be out on grass, exposed to sunshine, fresh air and have the ability to scratch and dust bathe like a normal chicken.
Why would you do this to him? If roosters are not allowed where you are, you should rehome him. If you want fertile eggs, they can be readily be purchased.
Sorry for being so blunt but that's pretty typical of me.

I understand the issue with crowing even if roosters are allowed in your area. Especially if he is crowing at night or if he is starting very early in the AM. My White Leghorn is only about 6 months old but he is very loud. When he first started crowing he would start a 4:00am. He has since slowed down and at least waits till sun up to crow. Nevertheless, he got moved to an old tool shed that I’m now converting to a coop. The shed is 10’x10’ and I have already added ventilation and a 10’x20’ run. Now, when he starts crowing I can barely here him until he comes outside. This has kept him out of the stew pot. As soon as I get the coop completed I’m going to move some WLH hens in with him.
Having said all that, can you make a run so he can come out during the day?

Ok thanks guys but I think I’m not gonna put him in a box forever I might just try a rooster collar and if that didn’t work he’ll be in my freezer. I hope it works out

Back
Top Bottom