rooster information

What are your goals for your flock? What are your plans for the chicks you hatch? Do you want egg layer, meat producers, or just pretty chickens to look at and feed? What are you going to do with all the extra roosters you'll end up with? These are all questions you want to ask yourself before hatching out chicks.
These are great questions!
okay!! now i am going to research which rooster i am going to get. i am actually planning on separating him and some of my hens together so that i will know which eggs to incubate. does that sounds okay? and do you have any recommendations of roosters? thank you very much for your help!!
Separation is IMHO the best route to ensuring who's eggs you are breeding and hatching. I really like the Swedish Flower cockerels, and Orpington. Also, with the birds you named, sounds like hatchery stock, so your "Ameraucana" is likely an Easter Egger. It isn't important to me, but the true Ameraucana I have, have much more consistent personalities... and looks.
I humbly disagree with this, I have had both a pure flock and a mixed flock, and found that birds are birds, most will lay eggs, and you can tell birds apart if they don't all look the same. I have greatly enjoyed my mixed breed flocks. I find them as healthy as any other birds.

Mrs K
I agree with Mrs. K. I like being able to tell my birds apart. I maintain both some pure and some mixed. SWEDISH FLOWER rock! I have many birds... SFH, EE, BR, BO, Lav AM, Cochin, Delaware, bantam Polish & Welsummer Salmon Fav, OE, white Leghorn,FBCM, and more. With some experience you will find out what works for you... personality, looks, feathered feet. Some are more suited to different environment and management styles. I do think it's supposed to be fun and my preferred breed has changed many times so I adjust. The purpose for my flock is eggs, meat, eye candy.

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom