rooster injured another hen

scottishgal

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 30, 2010
My black austrolorp roo is rough on the dismount and had previously skinned one side of one of my hens. We Iodined her and put a hen apron on and she did fine monitered with the rest of the flock while she healed. I noticed last night that he got another one , only this time he did not skin as much , but I think that it was deeper into the leg muscle because she had a bad limp. Again I Iodined her, put on an apron and left her with the flock. This morning she barely limped, squeaked , and would not eat or drink anything, so she is now in the house and the kids have a bowl of dead beatles that they gathered for her (killing each one so they could not get away
roll.png
). Is there anything else I could do or is she doomed ?
sad.png

Also I used a pedi-paws electric trimmer to file down my roo's nails yesterday so they are not as sharp and did his talon while I was at it, although it is not a real talon because it never gets past a nub on this breed.

Last edited:
I don't think she's doomed, but you might want to give her an anitbiotic in her drinking water just in case there is an infection. I would maybe clean the wound if you can and put some antibiotic ointment on it too....

Just let her rest and treat her special.......Keep her calm.

Good luck to you!

Sharon

OH, and I think I might get rid of that rooster, and try another one. If you don't plan on hatching your own chicks, you don't even need a rooster......He sounds like a meanie.....

I did Iodine the wound , but I will add some oral antibiotics. I do hatch out my own chicks , in fact she is my first momma and I had to leave her 10 week old babies on their own, but they should be fine. He is actually a sweetheart , he comes to me wanting to be held and pet and he is not mean to the girls, he is young and clumsy. The dismount when he is done is kinda sideways off of the hens and I think that it happened then, I am hoping he gets better as he ages since he is only almost a year old. Good to know that she might not be doomed though:D

Well, I'm glad he's not a mean rooster......Maybe he'll improve with some practice! LOL Maybe you could trim his nails...that might help?

Quote:
Nail filing was a great idea. how did it go.. was it a big fight with him over it? very interested in how this works out in the future for him and your hens.. I worry about my girls too. its not that he would be mean but shoot with the spurs and nails long seams cuts and injuries are inevitable ..

blessed be )O(
Pink

He let me carry him into a room and I draped a towel over his head loosely, he then relaxed right into my lap like he was asleep and I gently pulled his leg back one at a time so his foot was bottom side up and he let me do it only mildly pulling away mabey 3 times when the vibrations bothered him. I took the towel off and put him back with the hens and he mounted a few within 5 min and they did not gripe as loud as they normally do , so I hope that it helped.

my hen died yesterday , she simply stopped breathing. I am pretty sure that it was internal injuries. My roo has not injured any others and his nails are still blunt so I guess that I will continue to file them as needed and keep a better eye out
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom