Rooster injured. Questions!

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
I have an injured BPR rooster, 26 weeks, in my basement 'hospital' tote, recovering from some sort of injuries this morning. He has minor injuries to his comb, and something wrong with his right hip or leg. If it were an injured hen, I'd probably just cull her. However, I need this guy in my flock and don't want to lose him. I think I know what I'm doing, but I'd like some input from others more knowledgeable or experienced in this.

This morning when letting the chickens out of their coop, I noticed a couple of hens with blood on their beaks. WTF?!? I found "Colonel Sanders" laying quietly on his side in the coop, eyes closed, as a small group of hens sampled the blood on his comb. Not attacking, just lightly pecking. The flock was calm, as normal. I don't have a clue whether he was attacked by something, or simply hurt himself on the roosts and/or pre-opening-coop activities and the girls thought his comb might be tasty. He's very much alive and alert, just a bit bloody on the comb, and cannot walk or hold his balance while standing. Favors his right leg.

I have 18 older hens, 24 pullets, 1 mature rooster, and 3 younger roos at 30, 26, and 17 weeks. There's been upset in the order; Day before yesterday, from a flock of 65, I culled 5 older hens and removed 14 young cockerels (processed yesterday). So I eliminated about 30% of the population at once. My coop is about 80 sf, and run 200 sf. So far, none of my roos or cockerels are aggressive. Big Goldie keeps order and the youngsters are learning. They tolerate each others' presence.

I cleaned him up, treated his comb with antibiotics and Blu-Kote spray. I gave him a dose of Nutri-Drench. I can't feel anything wrong with his legs or hips, except that he just can't walk. He'll stand, but try to take a step and fall over on his right side. He'll sometimes fall over upside down, then just lay there on his back until I roll him back over. Then he stands. He's eating and drinking. Eyes are bright and clear, comb and wattles bright red, no drainage from nostrils.

This evening he made the most pitiful little cooing noises, I swear it sounded like a child whining. I know he hates being confined - but until he can walk, run, hop onto a roost and fly down, I don't think he should be put back with the flock. I have a large space in the coop where he can be separated from the flock and tended, but it's frigging cold out there and in his condition, I'm not sure the cold temps would interfere with healing.

So if he heals up okay, maybe even by tomorrow, I may put him in the separation area. I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

Any thoughts or advice?

Leg injuries shouldn't be left to heal in very cold weather. Your dealing with muscle tissues, veins and blood to supply nutrients and oxygen. He will recover better in a warm area any place above 60 degrees.

Investigate the area of where the injury happened to get a better sense of what might have caused the situation.

Leg injuries shouldn't be left to heal in very cold weather. Your dealing with muscle tissues, veins and blood to supply nutrients and oxygen. He will recover better in a warm area any place above 60 degrees.

Investigate the area of where the injury happened to get a better sense of what might have caused the situation.
Thanks for putting it into words, it's what I was thinking about healing and temps. I can't keep him in my basement for long, because we have dogs and cats in the house and the tote is small (for now it is quite secure). I do have supplemental heat I can add to the separation area - so I may do that to be sure he stays warm enough in the coop.

I have an idea of one possibility, and it's something I've been meaning to correct for quite some time. My roosts are too steep and close together:
1669858624561.png

The birds normally hop down from bar to bar, or fly from the top down to the floor. It can be a hard landing. And if one falls from an upper roost, I suppose they could hit one of the lower bars. He was found under the lowest bar on the left side of the photo.

He is improved this evening, but not 100%. He's in the separation area, walking much better, and has hopped up onto a bale of wood chips. But still has trouble with balance. Fell over when he hopped down from the bale. He's so desperate to get out and back with the flock. (I get it, buddy, I really do. You're afraid the other boys will steal your girlfriends.) So I found a couple of the pullets that hatched with him, roosting in the area where he usually sits, and put them with him in the separation area. I gave him a low raised platform on which to roost, and the ladies settled right down with him.

He is improved this evening, but not 100%. He's in the separation area, walking much better, and has hopped up onto a bale of wood chips. But still has trouble with balance. Fell over when he hopped down from the bale. He's so desperate to get out and back with the flock. (I get it, buddy, I really do. You're afraid the other boys will steal your girlfriends.) So I found a couple of the pullets that hatched with him, roosting in the area where he usually sits, and put them with him in the separation area. I gave him a low raised platform on which to roost, and the ladies settled right down with him.
I would keep him in there for at least a week, even strains need adequate time to heal.

For pain and anti inflammatory you can use low dose 81mg aspirin, give 1/2 tab couple times a day.

You might want to replace your roost with a more stable plateform for them to roost on. I use a 1x6 plank for my roosts and they can hop up and down using steps.

Sure hope he is ok! Keep us updated!

I have an idea of one possibility, and it's something I've been meaning to correct for quite some time. My roosts are too steep and close together:
View attachment 3337640

The birds normally hop down from bar to bar, or fly from the top down to the floor. It can be a hard landing. And if one falls from an upper roost, I suppose they could hit one of the lower bars. He was found under the lowest bar on the left side of the photo.
This is what I use for roosts - 1x6 planks gives a better platform for more stable roosting and keeps heir feet warmer in cold weather. They also like to utilize the tops of the nest boxes . I just scrape them off daily and add shavings.
CE50A654-E5D6-4B1B-A50E-CF17B7495406.png

I have an injured BPR rooster, 26 weeks, in my basement 'hospital' tote, recovering from some sort of injuries this morning. He has minor injuries to his comb, and something wrong with his right hip or leg. If it were an injured hen, I'd probably just cull her. However, I need this guy in my flock and don't want to lose him. I think I know what I'm doing, but I'd like some input from others more knowledgeable or experienced in this.

This morning when letting the chickens out of their coop, I noticed a couple of hens with blood on their beaks. WTF?!? I found "Colonel Sanders" laying quietly on his side in the coop, eyes closed, as a small group of hens sampled the blood on his comb. Not attacking, just lightly pecking. The flock was calm, as normal. I don't have a clue whether he was attacked by something, or simply hurt himself on the roosts and/or pre-opening-coop activities and the girls thought his comb might be tasty. He's very much alive and alert, just a bit bloody on the comb, and cannot walk or hold his balance while standing. Favors his right leg.

I have 18 older hens, 24 pullets, 1 mature rooster, and 3 younger roos at 30, 26, and 17 weeks. There's been upset in the order; Day before yesterday, from a flock of 65, I culled 5 older hens and removed 14 young cockerels (processed yesterday). So I eliminated about 30% of the population at once. My coop is about 80 sf, and run 200 sf. So far, none of my roos or cockerels are aggressive. Big Goldie keeps order and the youngsters are learning. They tolerate each others' presence.

I cleaned him up, treated his comb with antibiotics and Blu-Kote spray. I gave him a dose of Nutri-Drench. I can't feel anything wrong with his legs or hips, except that he just can't walk. He'll stand, but try to take a step and fall over on his right side. He'll sometimes fall over upside down, then just lay there on his back until I roll him back over. Then he stands. He's eating and drinking. Eyes are bright and clear, comb and wattles bright red, no drainage from nostrils.

This evening he made the most pitiful little cooing noises, I swear it sounded like a child whining. I know he hates being confined - but until he can walk, run, hop onto a roost and fly down, I don't think he should be put back with the flock. I have a large space in the coop where he can be separated from the flock and tended, but it's frigging cold out there and in his condition, I'm not sure the cold temps would interfere with healing.

So if he heals up okay, maybe even by tomorrow, I may put him in the separation area. I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

Any thoughts or hmmm

Back
Top Bottom