Rooster injuring other rooster

Erinjoy

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2021
We have a silky rooster that is not really an aggressive one and he's so not that big. He has been beating up on a younger silke rooster. This one is missing most of his feathers on his head. Then recently he has been, I guess attacking (have not actually witnessed) our other rooster which is a very large rooster. The big ones head is a little bit bloody now. We have close to 40 chickens total so I dont think its an issue with too many roosters. But we're not sure if this is just a pecking order thing and it will subside or if we need to get rid of the silky.

It could be a pecking order thing or he is protecting "his" hens and keeping them to himself if he thinks they are trying to mount them. If he's new in the flock or just coming to age he might get settled when the pecking order sorted but if hes hoarding hens then he'll just keep fighting the others when they come near. I'd be more concerned with the big rooster killing him if he retaliates or him killing the other smaller silkie roo.

We have a silky rooster that is not really an aggressive one and he's so not that big. He has been beating up on a younger silke rooster. This one is missing most of his feathers on his head. Then recently he has been, I guess attacking (have not actually witnessed) our other rooster which is a very large rooster. The big ones head is a little bit bloody now. We have close to 40 chickens total so I dont think its an issue with too many roosters. But we're not sure if this is just a pecking order thing and it will subside or if we need to get rid of the silky.
Sounds like you need to separate out a rooster or two.

I'm thinking its more the hoarding. I feel like we are having bad luck with the roosters. The first one we had became very aggressive with my daughter and me both and we had to get rid of him. Im thinking we should probably get rid if this one too.. thank you for the info!! :)

How many males do you have out of that 40?

We didn't think we had any when we got him. But now we are realizing as they are growing more we have three others. So 4 out of the 40. Is that too many?
It very well could be. The 1:10 ratio often quoted is just for fertility. One of my flocks is a 1:4 ratio technically, but in practice, only my flock master breeds with the 12 females. The other 2 males aren't allowed to breed with anyone at all.

It very well could be. The 1:10 ratio often quoted is just for fertility. One of my flocks is a 1:4 ratio technically, but in practice, only my flock master breeds with the 12 females. The other 2 males aren't allowed to breed with anyone at all.
Wow, thats interesting!

Back
Top Bottom