Rooster is abusing my pullet, I need a little guidance

I'm so sorry about your pullet Chickie, I hope that she's ok.  My sweet little pullet was roughed up fairly bad, fortunately I was right there when it happened and was able to stop it.  I really want to get rid of this rooster but no luck so far.

I'm with ya.... The hubbs and my boys are ready to have him for dinner. So glad you were there to rescue the little one!:)

I let my hens beat the crap out of my young rooster.Accept he got a bit bigger and faught back.At that time my other hens were young,but bigger.I had a flock and so did my grand parents.The flocks now together.Also never have 2 roos I learned.He grew up and started fighting back this caused Joe my oldest rooster nuts.He got abandon from the flock for I say he DISRESPECTED Joe.He was trying to run him completely out of the yard.He didn't give up and of course I made the mistake to put him in there.He got beat up and trampled by Joe.My younger 1 didn't have spurs yet just long bumps.He couldn't defend very well.So Joe spured his eye out.Sadly he got him from the side he couldn't see from and trampled him in water then sprred his other eye out and broke his neck.Btw I wasn't there to save him
sad.png
.He did this because he was mating with them he could have if he didn't challenge him.Joe use to just peck him but he uses spurs.Now joe is happy he killed his SON!

I agree that he's being a young idiot. Try to have him with the older hens, and see if it helps his attitude, while your young birds grow a bit. They all need plenty of room to avoid each other, too. RIRs can be very tough costumers; you'll have to watch developments. Mary

My first advice would be to cull him. You say you never wanted a rooster in the first place, so why put up with an animal you didn't want, causing problems?

If you're determined to keep him, I'm on the older hen bandwagon. Figure something out to keep the younger hens away from him, if possible confine him with the older ladies for month or so.

First, Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. I am heartsick because our little pullet passed away this morning. I'm not sure that it was completely due to the rooster's attack, although I'm sure it was a contributing factor. She was always the runt and not as strong as the other buffs. We have decided to give the roo 1 week with the big girls. I hope that's long enough. After that if I haven't found a new home for him and if he hasn't responded to the big girls reprimands I'll let my husband take care of him.

Thanks once again.

Back
Top Bottom