Rooster is killing my hens

My rooster is systematically wiping out the flock! I only have two hens left. I had six at the start of winter

I suggest you separate the rooster from the hens for at least a few days: divide their pen with something, or put him in a wire dog crate, or something like that.

If any more hens die, then you have some other predator to find, and the rooster is not the problem. If the deaths stop, then butcher the rooster and eat him. Or give him to someone else that would like to eat him, if you don't want to do it yourself.

Sounds like he needs to be gotten rid of... I’m sorry to say this, but keeping a rooster who kills and injures hens is never okay. Welcome to BYC.
F3FCB600-2F56-425C-8E95-32C8025EA3AA.jpeg

I agree with @HappyDuckie and @NatJ. If he truly is killing your hens, then he needs to go, but there is really no reason he would. Roosters are instinctively supposed to protect the hens, so he can mate them and producing offspring. I have never heard of a rooster who has hurt the hens or killed them.

@Mom of the flock, can you explain exactly what you are seeing happen, and why you think the rooster is doing it? There is a very good chance you are seeing predator attacks can not the rooster. What is happening to the hens, are you finding them dead or are you seeing the rooster hurt/kill them? If you are finding them dead, what do you see? Are they perfectly in tact, or are there wounds signaling something killed them? Pictures of the dead hens may be helpful. Hopefully we can find the root of the problem,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and a warm welcome to BYC! Make yourself at home here! :welcome

Back
Top Bottom