Rooster is lethargic and lowering head

MaxLevine

Chirping
Dec 10, 2020
Hi,

I've been outside with my rooster all day. He was fine this morning, and all week really.

Last Wednesday he fought a raccoon, it killed a hen but didn't appear to break his skin in any way.

About 30 minutes ago I noticed he is lowering his head, acting weak. He's not very alert. He occasionally perks up and clucks a little bit.

My wife had been feeding him a variety of worms and caterpillars. She says nothing looked too colorful other than green. The hen was also eating all the bugs and she's acting normal.

I can't tell what's wrong with him but it seems like an emergency. He's very weak. I will try to attach a video right now. Thanks for any help.

He's also laying down a bit. His heart sounds steady, I'm having a hard time monitoring his breathing. I can't tell if it's labored or not. He doesn't have any interest in food or water and he's not very alert at all. I'm located in Connecticut, USA. The video isn't a supported format, but I think I described his behavior well

He's seemed to have perked up a bit, I think it might have passed - whatever the issue was. I massaged his neck a bit. Maybe something was stuck?

I have never had a rooster that has done this before. ( other than besides that i currently dont have any roosters right now :) )
I hope this was some just random thing and that it will pass. See if you can get him to eat and drink. Hopefully he just got hit on the head or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom