Rooster is lethargic and off balanced HELP

5Chickens

Songster
12 Years
Dec 13, 2007
This morning I woke up to find that my 8 month old Orpington cockerel is not doing well at all. Last night he was perfectly fine and had bread, water and food. This morning he is very lethargic. He doesnt want to move from the one corner of the run. His tail is drooped and his comb has white spots near the base. When I picked him up to feel his weight, that seems fine. But when I set him back down he stumbled and held out his wing to regain balance and continued to have trouble with his balance. I am very worried and have no idea what has happened. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Is he breathing ok? What does his poop look like? normal? watery? Have you checked him for mites/lice? Has he ever been wormed? I would try to get him to eat some scrambled egg and yogurt if you can.

He seems to breathing okay. Right now he is laying down with his eyes closed. I sprinkles some food on the ground and he got up with his tail dropped and he was walking a little steadier but still not 100%. No mites or lice. I haven't wormed him since I've had him. I've had him for 5 months.
His poop was a tad on the watery side.normal color though. I'll try to get some egg to him and see how he responds. Thank you!!

Update: he is walking straighter but still is slow and lethargic. I fed his some egg and he ate that right up. He's not really interested in his normal feed though, just the egg

Good. Scrambled eggs have a lot of nutrition in them so thats a great sign you were able to get him to eat. Another consideration, has it been really hot in your area? I dislike treating with antibiotics without knowing what you are treating. If he seems to be improving I would hold off on giving antibiotics but keep a close eye on him. I know that many people swear by giving garlic to help build up and treat many conditions and it doesnt hurt them at all. Maybe try adding some garlic to the scrambled eggs?

It has been steady 90s with humidity. Should I add in a fan for extra air flow just in case? I'll try the garlic as well!

It has been steady 90s with humidity. Should I add in a fan for extra air flow just in case? I'll try the garlic as well!
Yes, for SURE put in a fan...I also use a sprinkler turned on low that just "hits" inside their run area dampening the ground...they LOVE IT! They'll scratch around in the muck/mud and then plop their little fannies right down and cool down...silly chickens!

If you have any electrolytes to put in his water or something like Poultry Nutri-Drench, it may help him if he is dehydrated. When a chicken is lethargic I would think about fluids, possible cocci if you have added any new birds or he is new, mites, or worms. Open pans of water in the shade seem to be appreciated by my chickens in the heat. I also will put some vitamins/electrolytes in their water on the hottest days.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of TheChickenChick.com
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

So I've continued feeding him eggs with some electrolyte water mixed in with it. He seemed to like that. He perked up a little towards the end of the day. He's still a little slow moving and sleepy acting but he is walking straighter lines and was able to get on his roost tonight. Does anyone think that the white on he base of his comb means anything?

Thank you so much for all of the help as well. It is greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom