Rooster Issue

So he is a good rooster and safe with people and the hens.
I have never used pinless peepers on a rooster but see no reason it wont work.
They work like goggles in that the chicken must use periferal vision instead of straight ahead vision.
It takes them a few days to figure it out but do well after some time of adjustment. If you put a pair of these on your rooster it would immediatly curb the aggresive chase down and rape method he is displaying now. He would be more concerned with navagation to overbreed giving your hens time to regrow those feathers.
It also on the other hand make him less of a good lookout and more prone to being picked off to a preditor during the day.
I think it would be a good humbling experience for him.
I purchased 24 goggles along with the tool to put them on from Amazon last fall when i adopted 6 production hens and got a feather picker in the bargain. My Bad girl wore the goggles for 6 weeks. Enough time for the others to grow new feathers past the pin feather stage. Took the goggles off and no more frather picking. I did have to pick her up and put her on the roosts each night for the first couple weeks.
Good luck with your big rooster!
20181124_175906.jpg

Uhh... Just some friendly advise so your chickens don't die, if he is twice the size as a regular hen, that means your regular hens are about 4 - 5 pounds. They are getting hurt. So your bantams that are a quarter of the size is like a great dane mating with a purse dog. I would separate it before your bantams die. As it is he is already crushing them, and I am surprised they haven't broken ribs and died. I may sound like I am overreacting but definitely not. Google it. Separate him from them all or the bantams from him, and add some more girls for that hormonal guy.

So he is a good rooster and safe with people and the hens.
I have never used pinless peepers on a rooster but see no reason it wont work.
They work like goggles in that the chicken must use periferal vision instead of straight ahead vision.
It takes them a few days to figure it out but do well after some time of adjustment. If you put a pair of these on your rooster it would immediatly curb the aggresive chase down and rape method he is displaying now. He would be more concerned with navagation to overbreed giving your hens time to regrow those feathers.
It also on the other hand make him less of a good lookout and more prone to being picked off to a preditor during the day.
I think it would be a good humbling experience for him.
I purchased 24 goggles along with the tool to put them on from Amazon last fall when i adopted 6 production hens and got a feather picker in the bargain. My Bad girl wore the goggles for 6 weeks. Enough time for the others to grow new feathers past the pin feather stage. Took the goggles off and no more frather picking. I did have to pick her up and put her on the roosts each night for the first couple weeks.
Good luck with your big rooster!
View attachment 1784479

I gotta say! That is so flipping hilarious!!! It is so cute and so funny at the same time!!! :lau:lau:lau:lol::D:lau:wee

I wouldn’t let something “Natural” cause you took cook a good rooster.It sounds like he is a fantastic boy,may wanna keep him while you can, your next boy may not be as good.
Bare backs are natural, what do you think the hens in the wild do?Nobody's there to put “Hen saddles” on their backs.As long as he isn’t causing serious injury (Deep gashes, head injuries),file his nails down and keep him around.
Lol. He will make great meat, he is a very big meaty boy. I don’t want to have to resort to that but may have to. Hopefully the extra pullets and nail trimming works. :fl

I may be overreacting, I just feel bad. The feather loss got really bad over the winter, when they were confined to their coop / run. Now that they are free ranging I think it’s gotten better?
Not sure how it could have, damaged feathers don't 'get better'......until they fall out and new ones grow at molt. What they are fed at molting time can have a lot to do with how 'healthy' the new feathers are. Increased feather loss during winter confinement may have to do with crowding and/or diet.

Some birds are 'over-mated', some cock/erels just have bad technique, some females just have weak/brittle feathers that are easily broken....bare backs can be one of those to all of them.

Agrees more females is not a solution...decide if your cock/erel is 'adding' to your flock or not. IMO, if you don't want chicks, no reason to have a male.

I wouldn’t let something “Natural” cause you took cook a good rooster.It sounds like he is a fantastic boy,may wanna keep him while you can, your next boy may not be as good.
Bare backs are natural, what do you think the hens in the wild do?Nobody's there to put “Hen saddles” on their backs.As long as he isn’t causing serious injury (Deep gashes, head injuries),file his nails down and keep him around.

Because in the wild, flocks are bigger so there are more girls for the guy (the dominant will kill or kick out the other roosters), there are no bantams to crush, and there aren't a handful of hens for him to rape, there are many many more hens, and they aren't half his size since they would most likely be the same breed near same the same size.

Back
Top Bottom