Rooster issues

SHF1214

Chirping
Feb 21, 2020
Hey everyone....

I have 8 full size chickens and 6 bantams .... they were all supposedly hens but we know how that goes.... anyway... one of the full size ended up being a rooster named PomPom (kids named the chicks šŸ˜‚šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø) We decides to keep him because we are all he has ever known and we felt bad thinking about rehoming him...
however..... he has now attacked the kids several time and is really rough on the hens... twice (that we have seen) he has grabbed a hen by the neck and flung her around! Heā€™s abusive and we are now to the point we feel like the rest of the flock is suffering for one. How have yā€™all handled this situation in the past? We know if we try to sell or give him away it might not end well and are looking into a rescue. We feel horrible because itā€™s not his fault heā€™s a rooster but šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
This is PomPom heā€™s a beautiful HUGE rooster.
7591A42A-4683-4C8D-8F2C-0B0E7F4B44FB.jpeg

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
It sounds like he is a beautiful, huge cockerel.
Because of the kids, he must go. If you cannot do the deed, you can isolate him in a large crate with food and water to keep the kids safe and give the pullets a break. You can either advertise him for someone with more rooster experience to take him and try to rehab him or for someone to put him in their freezer.
I have rehomed three cockerels, two of which were mixes, but none of them were human aggressive and all went on to be flock leaders.
Good luck with rehoming this guy.

There is NEVER a good reason to keep a bad roo. You can see he is a danger to your children and to your hens. Don't feel you owe him anything. You can either have him for dinner or offer him to others who will be glad to enjoy him for a meal or soup or stew.

Sorry to be so blunt but that is what happens to very aggressive roosters. Hens will still lay eggs without a roo but, they will not be fertile so cannot be hatched.

Yes he is handsome, but if he is that aggressive, if you do go the rehoming route you really should make sure the people are aware of his problems. It would be terrible to have him hurt someone because they didnā€˜t know. Also, it will be much more difficult to rehome him with known aggression issues.

i personally have only had one mean rooster (I tried to put up with him because ā€œhe was just doing what roosters doā€) but eventually it was a pleasure to put him on the dinner table and bite him back. One of his offspring was rehomed and also ended up on the dinner table I was told Due to aggression. The only other rooster I rehomed is still doing well I believe. And the two I currently have do not show aggression to me- sooooo much better than having to watch your back around a mean guy no matter how pretty he is.

:welcome

Sorry you find yourself in this all-too common predicament. Your children's safety comes first, roosters can do some real injuries and I'm sure you don't want that to happen. I agree with letting future possible owners being notified he is aggressive and if they still want him (even if for dinner), let him go. I wouldn't try selling him...there are plenty of roosters available.

Best wishes.

Hi! Welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry to hear about your troublesome cockerel. You've already received some sound advice. I'm just sorry you find yourself in this situation. I'm tender hearted too, and have a cockerel I'm working with that may not work out, but I have no children here, not even visiting ones. I wouldn't do it with children around at all. In the end, we have ended up culling every aggressive cockerel we have had anyway. They are just not worth it. They can't be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom