rooster jumps at me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Henrietta7, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Henrietta7

Henrietta7 New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    We have 5 hens and 1 Bard-rock rooster, that we bought less than a week ago. Our whole family has been in and out with them and even have held the hens in the fenced in area and coop. The hens are layers already. On the 5th day I went out to let them out of the coop in the morning and to give them some scratch. I started tossing the scratch and the rooster jumped and grabbed at my lower leg, it kind of freaked me out and I wonder what it means and what to do if it happens again.

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Some people here say to walk around holding him upside down. Personally, I'd just wring his neck. If he gets his spurs in you, it really hurts. You don't want him doing that to a child.

3. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I read on here somewhere what really made the decision for me to get rid of our aggressive rooster "There are too may nice roosters to keep a nasty one" or something like that.

My meany rooster was on craigs list the next day.

We now have a silkie rooster who is as sweet as they come and a Jersey Giant who is a very nice rooster too.

I'd get rid of him if I were you and fine another.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Ask yourself why you have these chickens. Is it for the joy of owning them? If so, are you going to enjoy them if you are living in fear of attack everytime you go out to your birds? If you don't, you may want to think of getting rid of him. We'd eat him. If you're going to sell or give away a mean rooster you need to do so with full disclosure. You don't want to take a chance on him injuring someone else.

ETA - I've had one barred rock rooster - he was one of the meanest roosters I've ever had. Beautiful bird, but not a very nice one.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    X2 I wouldn't give him another oppertunity to try and do a better job at spurring you.

6. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

No different from feeding a dog that bites you all the time...yes, there are too many nice ones to keep feeding a mean one.

Maybe he's just being ultra-protective given the new digs but...do you really even need him? We keep ours b/c he watches the flock and he's nice & kind. The day he acts like an idiot is the day he goes away.

sorry you're having to deal with this so early in the game. good luck.

7. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I agree with the one that said there are too many nice ones to keep a mean one. I fought to many times with one i had and he went in the freezer. I love my girls and did not want to be fearful everytime I went out there, no way.

8. Zigmont

Zigmont Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Sorry you are going through this. I am also and I hate it. I am going to have to get rid of my roo too.

9. chefgian

chefgian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Stow, OH.
    I was new to chickens about a year ago. I had one rooster (malaysian serama) and when the girls started laying, he started acting strange. Every time I would open the coop, he would run up to me and peck my shoe as he walked by. I thought it was funny until I wore flip-flops out there one day. The next day I wore my crocks again and when he ran at me, I raised my leg and firmly planted my foot on the top of his head. I didn't kick him or stomp on him and it did not injure him in any way. It was my way of telling him that I was boss and it worked. I don't know if this would work for you but it might be worth a try. Good luck!

10. Henrietta7

Henrietta7 New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I took a stick and waved it at him this morning when he came near. He moved away. I told the kids his name is Scary bird so stay away. But I still don't feel comfortable with the kids near. They were holding the hens before the roo got me, and they enjoy that. I've heard roos are tough, so maybe soup. We want to have chicks and are waiting for one of the hens to get broody. The hens we have are red star. Would a silkie rooster mix with them alright??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by