Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

Please do NOT ever carry a rooster up side down by the feet. They literally can not breathe. They don't have a diaphragm and all their organs will be compressing their lungs. So they calm because they can NOT breathe properly. It is cruel, so unless you are getting ready to butcher, otherwise, don't use it as a method to discipline. I just wanted to make sure folks know this.
D.gif

Anyway, I ALSO have had too many roos chase me as soon as my back is turned and I really wish I understood why. I only come, and feed you guys! I never rush, or try to scare you. I don't get the turning the back, means attack me. If it is an animal thing, what is it? Many a farmer I have known that in the instanced the bull charged, it was when they turned their back to him. Never to the face. Weird?!

They have a clear, thin membrane separating their abdominal viscera from their chest cavity...if you'd ever butchered a chicken you'd know that. That membrane holds back any abdominal viscera from advancing into the chest cavity where the heart and lungs are located, even if a bird is held upside down. Their lungs are also tucked into the spaces created by their ribs, unlike a human, so even if the viscera were to place pressure on that membrane, the chickens can still breathe efficiently if their ribs are not being compressed from the sides.

They have multiple air sacs~apart from the lungs~ that are part of their respiratory system, so they don't breathe like us at all...so constricting the SIDES of the bird can cause more respiratory distress then hanging one upside down, as they need to be able to move certain muscles that move bones in their chest cavity in order to create the negative pressure it takes for them to breath. So, when you folks are holding birds in your arms too tightly, it can cause more respiratory distress than holding a bird upside down.

So, literally, they CAN breath. They calm because they quickly tire of trying to right themselves from the upside down position as they fight against their whole body weight to do so. That's why heavy birds calm down much more quickly than do the lighter weight and/or younger birds.

I've been carrying/transporting birds that way for 40 yrs and have yet to see it cause any harm or difficulty with respiration with any bird I've carried that way. People have been carrying chickens that way since the beginning of time. If it were harmful to them, they wouldn't do it....farmers care about their livestock's wellbeing and can't afford to lose them over careless handling, so if holding a rooster upside down was harmful to him, it wouldn't be performed.

Enter the urban chicken owner, who places human emotions and feelings on common farming practices and you have people stating as fact that holding a chicken upside down is cruel and can kill them. It's not true. Period. I guess if you were to leave that bird there for a long period of time he may die, but a simple upside down hold for carrying, moving, or just to get them off the roosts is not a bit harmful to those birds. On the other hand, a small child holding a chick too tightly or holding a hen too tightly in his arms can indeed kill a chicken because the bird's ribs are too tightly compressed for good air exchange.

It could just be possible you don't understand why your roosters are chasing you simply because you don't understand the animal you are keeping at all.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a rooster the entire life of the roo without him becoming mean at some point? I was hopeful that we had found one we could keep.

Late reply, but yes. My oldest Roos were a RIR named Red, and a BR named Sgt. Rock, who were the top and second Roos on my farm in TX for years. I had quite a few that were list to predators along the way, sold, or culled due to numbers, but those two lived into old age (Sgt Rock was my favorite, and it was sad to see him reach an age he could no longer hold off the younger Roos and ended up relegated to the outskirts of the pastures and yards, usually without the company of a hen. They never, ever attacked or challenged us, and neither did any of the others. But those are the only two that lived to old age.

Late reply, but yes. My oldest Roos were a RIR named Red, and a BR named Sgt. Rock, who were the top and second Roos on my farm in TX for years. I had quite a few that were list to predators along the way, sold, or culled due to numbers, but those two lived into old age (Sgt Rock was my favorite, and it was sad to see him reach an age he could no longer hold off the younger Roos and ended up relegated to the outskirts of the pastures and yards, usually without the company of a hen. They never, ever attacked or challenged us, and neither did any of the others. But those are the only two that lived to old age.
What age is considered old age? Tough to get good info about roos because so many don’t live long enough to old age. That’s great yours did!

I know this is an old post but I hope someone can help me out. I have a beautiful Lemon Coco Orpington roo that has been super sweet until yesterday. He started mating the hens for the first time that I have seen yesterday and is really into it. My biggest concern is about how big he is. He is at least 15 pounds and is a chicken bigger than the entire flock. He has always been a sweet heart so I never thought to establish dominance. Yesterday when I went to feed he ran and bit my calf. I ignored it but he ran at me a second time and I didn't know what else to do so I kicked him in the face. (I feel sooooo bad). We have been at a stand off ever since but he hasn't pulled anything besides a starting contest since. I have not had an issue since but his entire attitude has changed, especially towards the hens.

I know this is an old post but I hope someone can help me out. I have a beautiful Lemon Coco Orpington roo that has been super sweet until yesterday. He started mating the hens for the first time that I have seen yesterday and is really into it. My biggest concern is about how big he is. He is at least 15 pounds and is a chicken bigger than the entire flock. He has always been a sweet heart so I never thought to establish dominance. Yesterday when I went to feed he ran and bit my calf. I ignored it but he ran at me a second time and I didn't know what else to do so I kicked him in the face. (I feel sooooo bad). We have been at a stand off ever since but he hasn't pulled anything besides a starting contest since. I have not had an issue since but his entire attitude has changed, especially towards the hens.
I have exactly the same problem my rooster is so sweet but now he is chaceing me down the yard wich is a huge disappointment, I love him so much too. What were doing is were gonna give him a second chance and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I'd be watchful in the case of solitary too.

But this may be a completely unrelated issue.

I had too many Roos at one point and there was one BO that just wasn't working out his territory well and wanted the top position. He was a very nice BO roo and I wanted him for breeding (with free range and different breeds we of course had lots of mutt chickens being hatched). But I put this BO roo into a large cage area of his own (though in retrospect it was probably a bad idea that I located him within the main chicken yard which was part of the prime territory).

He actually became MORE aggressive with confinement and took to killing chicks that got close to his cage (the mesh was open enough). I eventually ended up having to send him to freezer camp.

But it may be that it was my big stupid mistake in just HOW I isolated him. It was enough of a poor outcome that I'd just want to be aware to keep an eye on that possible solution in future though.
I did the solitary for a few hours. They are young birds and still and he was ok.. For sure I would be careful if you were doing this with an adult/fully matured bird.

My Roo is gentle as can be. The only time he sneaks up behind me is when he thinks I have treats.

Maybe if you try treats and maybe he will see you are nice too. I dont really know other than that. I wouldn't want him attacking the guests either.

I heard mean Roos make great soup.......
we have three roos and 2 are mean sooo.... rooter pot pie here we come!

I doubt my guys would even feel a spanking lol.
They would never do anything naughty though, both are complete angels.
I'm hoping that the little dudes in the brooder right now are going to watch and learn.
I haven't had a roo that gave me a hard time since I was a kid and I don't miss it much.:)
Haha could be but I jiggled the Charlie switch on that rump of his

I had a mean rooster like that and I tried everything and gave him chance after chance to no avail. Needless to say I had to get rid of him, he was not only nasty to us but to the hens too. I noticed within a few days of him not being here we were all much happier including the hens and they started laying more eggs once he was gone. I think those kinds of roosters can be high stress on everyone because they are sneaky and can do damage. Just not worth it in my book.

Back
Top Bottom