Rooster killed 2 of my juveniles

SilkieCRZYness

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Florida
I introduced four 4 month old silkies into a pen with one Cockeral and 3 hens that are older, and all day yesterday they got along great no problems. As most know silkies are pretty calm and do well with this. Well I woke up and during the first few hours of the morning sun my cockeral must have attacked 2 of the 4 and killed them. The other two were not touched and he was standing next to them and no problems. I couldn't figure out who was male or female yet as non had grown combs at 4 months and all still were lanky and young, but do youthink the two he killed were young boys? I figured A few were because of sparring and I've never had 100% girls out of a hatch. Well let me know if you agree that he probably attacked the young males and could sense they were males since the young ones wernt crowing or anything. Thanks

It may have been males, or it may not have been males. I have a cockerel that killed a female pullet he was raised with because he got a little too rambunctious when they were sparring. I don't believe my killing was purposeful, though. I think it was an accident, but... the pullet is still dead.

Maybe you better re-think your integration plans. Sorry for your losses.

Yes my integration plans are different now and it might have been mating but I doubt it because he's still youn and I haunt gotten any fertile eggs yet. He is 7 months but crows and is head hancho. I think he killed them because of anger not breeding because there big crest were soaked and basically missing, looks like he pecked there heads to death not breeding.

Back
Top Bottom