Rooster killed a Hen

What?! Do you think she like, refused to make him a sandwich or something? Yuck. Geeze.
Unless the male was injured there's no sense in this at all.
I agree completely!! There's no good reason for a rooster attacking one of his hens... if he's not doing his job of protecting the flock and is actively harming them, there's no sense in keeping him. "Pushed to the breaking point"?? Really? That's like saying it's OK for a woman's husband to attack and rape her because he was in a bad mood. 🤦‍♀️

I've got a Brahma roo (older cockerel, turns 1 in July) who is super aggressive. I was hoping he'd chill out with maturity, but he's only getting worse. I'm pretty sure he killed one of my hens who resisted being mounted, and my sweet Silkie roo... he attacked/ raped one of my hens, causing a serious neck injury, and most of my other hens are missing huge patches of feathers. The only reason I haven't dispatched him to my roaster pan already is because I simply haven't had time to process him over the last couple weeks... but that's where he's heading. I love all my birds and I hate to do it, but he's got to go for the greater good of the rest.

Sorry for what happened to your hen.

As for the rooster this is a sure fire way to keep him from doing that again. In a large pot combine 2 large potatoes peeled, 5 diced large carrots, half stick of butter, 1 lb pasta... Salt and season to taste.

I agree completely!! There's no good reason for a rooster attacking one of his hens... if he's not doing his job of protecting the flock and is actively harming them, there's no sense in keeping him. "Pushed to the breaking point"?? Really? That's like saying it's OK for a woman's husband to attack and rape her because he was in a bad mood. 🤦‍♀️

I've got a Brahma roo (older cockerel, turns 1 in July) who is super aggressive. I was hoping he'd chill out with maturity, but he's only getting worse. I'm pretty sure he killed one of my hens who resisted being mounted, and my sweet Silkie roo... he attacked/ raped one of my hens, causing a serious neck injury, and most of my other hens are missing huge patches of feathers. The only reason I haven't dispatched him to my roaster pan already is because I simply haven't had time to process him over the last couple weeks... but that's where he's heading. I love all my birds and I hate to do it, but he's got to go for the greater good of the rest.
Update:
I have had the hen in a separate containment run until yesterday. I opened the door to let her out to roam around my property. I came back to find her roosting on top of the door to the main coop/run. She wanted back in. So, I will be going home after work to see the results.

Bad News....

For some reason, the rooster does not want her in the coop/run area. He was immediately aggressive toward her. Is there any chance that he knows something I don't know. Like disease or some sort of weakness he doesn't want in his flock? He has not hurt any of the other girls at all or ever.

Unless he is a cristal ball fortune teller there is no way for him to know.

He might just have chosen her to vent his aggressions with hormones raging.

I just butchered a beautiful Amrock rooster aged one year that became aggressive to the hens and had them all anxious and running from him to avoid his violent attacks on them.
He shared 30 hens with another Amrock rooster of the same age, his hatchmate. Lately I noticed that he was roosting with only 3-4 hens in his big coop while all the others one by one preferred to cram into the coop with the other rooster.

After 10 more days of closer observation I decided for peace in my flock and I found ginormous gonades, the biggest I have ever seen in a rooster in 20+ years. Plucked and dressed he still weighed more than 5 kg.

The next day even the hens that usually preferred to hide in the bushes and seemed very shy came out and lost their anxiousness as soon as they noticed him absent for good.

The instantly restored harmony in my flock after culling the bully makes me wonder why I allowed 10 more days of harassing the flock in the first place...

Bad News....

For some reason, the rooster does not want her in the coop/run area. He was immediately aggressive toward her. Is there any chance that he knows something I don't know. Like disease or some sort of weakness he doesn't want in his flock? He has not hurt any of the other girls at all or ever.
There certainly could be something he knows about the hen, that you don't know.
But unless you are willing to permanently remove the hen from his flock, you probably do not care what he may know.

Personally, I would solve this in one of three ways:
--keep them in different pens from each other
--or butcher the rooster
--or butcher the hen

(If keeping them in separate pens, I would wait until she is fully healed and then consider whether to try re-introducing them under close supervision, or whether to not risk it.)

Back
Top Bottom