Rooster laying on back, is anything wrong?

checkingon

Crowing
15 Years
May 25, 2008
I've posted several times about my concerns for my rooster Kingy of 11 years old. He has problems with his legs due to old age. These past two days, I find him at least once a day, just laying on the ground on his back, his legs in the air, his eyes open. Sunbathing? I hardly see him dusting himself. Once I slowly tried to turn him over which he did, he stood up and walked away. Today, I rolled him over and he stayed there for awhile. I stroked him lighty (which he would never allow me to) until he got up but either looked like he was woozy, had weak legs, or something else. He ate well but still had a hard time reaching up to drink water from the bucket. What does this mean?

At age eleven, it's to be expected his parts are wearing out. Kudos to him and you for his long years. But, I would imagine he could be suffering from arthritis or organ deterioration. But it could be a number of other things.

How is his comb color? Is it a healthy red or does it appear on the dusky purplish side? Does he sound crackly when you listen to his breathing? Any discharge from eyes or nares?

Have you examine his legs and feet for swelling or bruising? How about his scales? Are they lifting up and crusty looking? How is his poop? Different lately?

When he stands or walks, how is his balance? Wobbly? How does he hold his head? Erect or is it wobbly and unsteady? How is his crop? Is it full at roosting time and is it empty in the morning before he eats or is it still full? Have you seen him eat?

Answers to these questions can help is figure out what ails him.

Pictures and a video might be helpful. To post video you need to upload to YouTube or Vimeo then paste that link here.

Pictures and a video might be helpful. To post video you need to upload to YouTube or Vimeo then paste that link here.
I thought of it after I posted. I hope it doesn’t happen too often but if it does, I’ll take a snapshot.

I had a chicken lady friend who had hens who were 15 years old, they would end up on their backs at times, "I have fallen and cannot get up" she would go over and up right them and they would walk off.
That’s what he looks like and saying. Can you help me?Guess it’s age then. And, we’ll be facing the same problem too. Wow - at 15? Awesome!

At age eleven, it's to be expected his parts are wearing out. Kudos to him and you for his long years. But, I would imagine he could be suffering from arthritis or organ deterioration. But it could be a number of other things.

How is his comb color? Is it a healthy red or does it appear on the dusky purplish side? Does he sound crackly when you listen to his breathing? Any discharge from eyes or nares?

Have you examine his legs and feet for swelling or bruising? How about his scales? Are they lifting up and crusty looking? How is his poop? Different lately?

When he stands or walks, how is his balance? Wobbly? How does he hold his head? Erect or is it wobbly and unsteady? How is his crop? Is it full at roosting time and is it empty in the morning before he eats or is it still full? Have you seen him eat?

Answers to these questions can help is figure out what ails him.
I have to say that he has no other problems except weak legs.

Back
Top Bottom