rooster leg paralysis...mareks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colton, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Colton

Colton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    I have a rooster that has been limping around for over a month. His one leg works great, but the other right one sticks straight out and is useless. That foot is not swollen or have any scales or sign of damage. In fact, it happened on the other side, the left one used to stick straight out and he was walking on the right leg. He eats and drinks. seems happy. cannot get up to roost. He goes all over the yard...free run of our whole yard...and he goes there, hopping on one leg. He is strong and always ready to go, but for that leg sticking straight out and being useless.
    now I went out to let the chickens out this morn and there is another rooster with legs that seem to be failing him. They just seem wobbly underneath him and he sits often and walks kinda squatish. he is eating and drinking well also with no other signs of ailment.
    what is going on in our coop? The rest of the bunch seem happy and healthy and layers are laying. I know we have rats/mice that have moved in this fall (suggestions on how to get them out with the chickens, dogs and cats running would also be appreciated)
    e-coli? not enough oyster shells or grit? lymphoma? mareks? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It could be Marek's. How old is the rooster? Marek's usually affects birds around 6-10 months old, but really can affect chickens of any age. The symptom of holding his leg stiffly out in front of him is one common symptom of Marek's. I would expect Marek's, especially if more birds begin to show signs.

Could you post a picture of him?

3. Colton

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    thank you for your response. I believe this bird is 1-2 years old. its my boys bird. will take a pic tomorrow and post it. thanks again for your input.

4. Colton

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    Thank you. the roosters are still alive and doing good. still gimpy, but eating and drinking and I put them to bed at night together in a crate to stay warm. will check out your sites listed and let you know how we compare.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Since now 2 are having leg problems, I may think Marek's as well. Under my posts, there's a good read in the Big Marek's FAQ

6. Colton

Aug 27, 2012
    Western WI
    both the birds are still alive and some days they are up on both feet and hopping around. other days are not so easy. thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by