Rooster limping and hock swollen

derpsmom

Hatching
Nov 25, 2022
Hello, my Wyandotte too is limping very badly. The only thing unusual about his weaj leg really is that the hock is larger than the hock on the good leg. The hock is not discolored, just swollen. The rooster is limping around and eating and otherwise acting alright but the limp is quite pronounced. I did transition feed over the last month to Grubbly Farms and am wondering if this feed maybe is giving him an excess or a deficiency in something... Or if the feed has nothing to do with it and the cause is something else. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have a hen in another coop across the chicken yard who has had a slight limp for like a week, which makes me wonder if this is a feed issue or a mycoplasma issue? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Have you checked both birds for any signs of bumblefoot? This can take the form of a scab, swelling, or a pink patch of skin on the foot.

I would also check for any overgrown nails, cuts, scrapes, or anything else out of the ordinary. Is it possible they could have strained or sprained something?

Are they showing any other symptoms aside from the limp?

Can you post a picture of the feed label? It is a balanced feed for adult chickens? It could be a sprained leg, or it might be an infection in the joint. Do you have pictures?

Hello, my Wyandotte too is limping very badly. The only thing unusual about his weaj leg really is that the hock is larger than the hock on the good leg. The hock is not discolored, just swollen. The rooster is limping around and eating and otherwise acting alright but the limp is quite pronounced. I did transition feed over the last month to Grubbly Farms and am wondering if this feed maybe is giving him an excess or a deficiency in something... Or if the feed has nothing to do with it and the cause is something else. Any advice would be appreciated. I do have a hen in another coop across the chicken yard who has had a slight limp for like a week, which makes me wonder if this is a feed issue or a mycoplasma issue? Thanks for any advice you may have.
Here is a link to a YouTube video I took of him last night. Today his limp is a little worse and the leg appears a tad more swollen but it's also wet outside so if it is gout maybe that's to be expected?

Here is a link to a YouTube video I took of him last night. Today his limp is a little worse and the leg appears a tad more swollen but it's also wet outside so if it is gout maybe that's to be expected?

It says the video is unavailable for me.

Poor guy. I can definitely see the swelling there.

Did the injury appear suddenly or did he start limping gradually?

He is limping like it is injured. I would make sure that he is not overusing the leg or jumping up/down from a roost. A wired dog crate with food/water, and bedding can help if he needs to be forced to rest the leg. Some will limit their own activity, but an active mating rooster might not. If you have a vet to look at him, that might help. Gout usually causes a lumpy looking swelling of the feet.

Poor guy. I can definitely see the swelling there.

Did the injury appear suddenly or did he start limping gradually?
The day before yesterday he had a very slight limp so it wasn't of real concern. But then 24 hours later it was like what you see in the video. Prior to the limp he was running around like a banshee when it was free range time, chasing women, etc etc so I don't know if he messed something up that way or if it is something like gout?
He is limping like it is injured. I would make sure that he is not overusing the leg or jumping up/down from a roost. A wired dog crate with food/water, and bedding can help if he needs to be forced to rest the leg. Some will limit their own activity, but an active mating rooster might not. If you have a vet to look at him, that might help. Gout usually causes a lumpy looking swelling of the feet.
Ok, thank you. I did put him in his own coop that does not require he climb a ladder at night to get into the house. Here is a photo of the weak leg this morning

Attachments

• PXL_20221126_125346649.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221126_125346649.MP.jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom