Rooster Losing Weight

dogzrule5

Songster
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Sanford, NC
Something is wrong with my rooster and I'm not sure what's going on. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that he was sitting on the perch a lot. I saw him get down and eat and drink some and didn't think too much about it. Long story short...he got quite lethargic and I assumed he would die in 24 hours - I've had that happen with a couple of hens years ago. Well, the guy is hanging on but is so skinny. I'm having to put food and water right under his nose and he eats really well some days and other days, not so much. Also, his feet are slightly curled. I know he's weak but I don't see any outward signs of anything going on. I'm feeding him pellets, bread, yogurt, berries, rice krispies...

Any ideas of what could be wrong with him? All other chickens are fine.

Thanks.

I am sorry about your roo, I have no idea what it could be but I will bump the thread in hopes that someone can help!

Liquid baby or bird vitamins in his beak as soon as possible. Curled toes are from a lack of vitamins.

What's he eating? Has he been eating the layer pellets or crumbs?

When was he last wormed? Does the crop feel hard like it's impacted? Any foul odor from the mouth, nose area? How's his poop? Noticing any blood in it?

If he was mine, I'd first worm him if it had been awhile. Followed by giving him GROWTH pellets, or mash dissolved in milk until it was crumbles. Mine love it! Perhaps a hard boiled or scrambled egg to get more protein in. Again, mine love eggs! I'd make sure he was drinking well. Perhaps isolate him, or not, depending on he responded being isolated. If it stressed him too much, I'd leave him with his flock as it's hard to heal when stressed. This is assuming he he has NO drainage from the eyes or nose, no sneezing, etc.

Check him for lice. They will literally suck the life out of a chicken. Look at his vent for clumps of white eggs. Check under the wings, around the neck, etc., for grayish moving lice. If present, treat the whole flock by dusting with Sevin Dust.

If blood in the poop, I'd treat him, and the whole flock for coccidiosis.

If worms are present, I'd treat the whole flock for worms. You can take a poop sample to most vets and they will test it for worms, as well as cocci. Call ahead and ask if they will.

Perhaps this will get you on the right track, or give you some ideas to check for.

Please keep us posted!

Thank you both for responding to me.

I'm feeding him scrambled eggs, rice krispies, laying pellets, berries and anything else I can think of. He's now in the house with me so I can feed him frequently and keep an eye on him. His comb feels pretty normal to me. I'll give him vitamins and talk to the guy at the feed store too.

I've never noticed any of the chickens chewing food, only gulping it down, and he is chewing most every piece of anything he eats. Is that normal?

I'm looking at him closely and wonder if I should trim the tip of his beak a little?

Thanks again for responding; I really appreciate it.

Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom