Rooster making progress...

NicD

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 22, 2014
Now I'm wondering about the next hurdle.

I feared mareks when my 6 m/o BR mix rooster started limping, then lost balance...and of course, never ruling out the possibility. However, he made significant improvement after a few forced syringes of yogurt, so I'm leaning toward something gastrointestinal...toxin, botulism, worms--you know, all the possible culprits.

He has never had real paralysis and is now standing more than sitting (and without leaning for support). We had a day without rain yesterday (I live near Seattle
1f327.png
2614.png
1f327.png
), so, he spent several hours getting fresh air...still wobbly, but pecking, walking, fluttering. Of course, today it's freezing rain and nobody wants to be outside!!

My concern now is how to get his nutrition back on track. In addition to the forced yogurt, he's also eaten fresh lettuce, a bit of broccoli, cooked brown rice and oatmeal, plus treats of bird seed, some raw meat and meal worms.

He's lost more weight than makes me comfortable, so my gut says to feed him whatever he'll eat. However, I'm concerned about too many treats because he isn't interested in his regular pellets, at all.

I'm adding vitamins and electrolytes to his water...plus started corid two days ago (poop became watery and greener than it should be). I will also worm the whole flock for good measure.

So, in his weakened condition...should I just keep feeding him whatever he'll eat?

I will often add warm water to the prepared ration to make it more palatable, I'm not talking fermenting, just some warm water, discard what they don't eat after a hour, moldy or spoiled feed can cause botulism. Otherwise eggs in any form is full of all the good stuff, mine like scrambled. I would cut back on greens until he gains weight, corn and black oil sunflower seeds are good for fat and carbs.

I will often add warm water to the prepared ration to make it more palatable, I'm not talking fermenting, just some warm water, discard what they don't eat after a hour, moldy or spoiled feed can cause botulism. Otherwise eggs in any form is full of all the good stuff, mine like scrambled. I would cut back on greens until he gains weight, corn and black oil sunflower seeds are good for fat and carbs.

Oops! Copied without reply. I'm technically challenged
1f609.png

So, yes...eggs are now in the menu.

I'm feeding him a variety, but he seems only interested in the meal worms. I know they're a good source of protein, but will too many be bad for him?

I was reading another thread about another chicken healing from wounds, she says her chicken will only eat fruit, greens, and meal worms, so perhaps the chickens know what they need and will only eat certain things. Give him what he will eat and offer him new things occasionally to see. Meal worms are good for him so let him eat them, but maybe offer some other things first than give the meal worms.

Back
Top Bottom