Rooster making sounds like he's snoring 1 chicken with an eye infection

Mark94

Songster
Apr 8, 2018
Montenegro
Hey everyone! I'd really appreciate some help! As the subject says, my rooster has been making weird noises while breathing, it's similar to snoring with difficulty, the problem has been going on for a month or two, as soon as the winter kicked in, today I tried giving him 'amoxicillin' orally, and I noticed there's some slime in his mouth. Also, one of my leghorn chicks has an eye infection, only 1 eye, it appeared as soon as the winter kicked in so it's been there for a while, it's swollen around her eye and there's a liquid discharge with bubbles, I am not sure what to give them because barely any vet would accept treating a chicken where I live, would amoxicillin help in these cases and how should I give it to them? because it's really hard to catch them and even give it to them. Any help would be appreciated!

my rooster has been making weird noises while breathing, it's similar to snoring with difficulty, the problem has been going on for a month or two, as soon as the winter kicked in, today I tried giving him 'amoxicillin' orally, and I noticed there's some slime in his mouth
one of my leghorn chicks has an eye infection, only 1 eye, it appeared as soon as the winter kicked in so it's been there for a while, it's swollen around her eye and there's a liquid discharge with bubbles, I am not sure what to give them because barely any vet would accept treating a chicken where I live
would amoxicillin help in these cases and how should I give it to them?
Where are you located in the world?
Can you take a video of your rooster so we can hear what he sounds like?
Photos of the chick and her eye would be good too.
Take a closer look inside his beak - there was slime, but did you notice any yellow/white cheesy plaques or lesions?

Is your rooster's crop emptying overnight?
How much ventilation do you have in housing?

For the swollen eye, have you flushed out the eye, cleaned out the pus and applied any type of eye ointment? Bubbles in the eye could be from respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, but without testing it would be hard to know. MG symptoms can be treated with an antibitoic like Tylosin. Amoxicillin is not an effective treatment.

To administer medications, you would need to be able to get a hold of them when you need to. Caging or housing them separately during treatment may be the best way to handle this.

Where are you located in the world?
Can you take a video of your rooster so we can hear what he sounds like?
Photos of the chick and her eye would be good too.
Take a closer look inside his beak - there was slime, but did you notice any yellow/white cheesy plaques or lesions?

Is your rooster's crop emptying overnight?
How much ventilation do you have in housing?

For the swollen eye, have you flushed out the eye, cleaned out the pus and applied any type of eye ointment? Bubbles in the eye could be from respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, but without testing it would be hard to know. MG symptoms can be treated with an antibitoic like Tylosin. Amoxicillin is not an effective treatment.

To administer medications, you would need to be able to get a hold of them when you need to. Caging or housing them separately during treatment may be the best way to handle this.
Hello and thanks for your reply! Regarding your questions, I'm from Montenegro, Eastern EU. There's plenty of ventilation in the housing. I've flushed the chicken's eye with, acidi borici solutio 3% (used for eye flush), just to give her some relief, I didn't put anything else inside her eye because I wasn't sure what the problem is. I just checked roosters beak and I didn't notice anything inside but what I did notice is that he stopped crowing and it's been a while. I've posted a photo of a chick and a youtube link of a rooster below. I also have one question, if they are really infected with Mycoplasma, is it safe to eat eggs from chickens?

Attachments

• 20200214_092348.jpg
    20200214_092348.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hello and thanks for your reply! Regarding your questions, I'm from Montenegro, Eastern EU. There's plenty of ventilation in the housing. I've flushed the chicken's eye with, acidi borici solutio 3% (used for eye flush), just to give her some relief, I didn't put anything else inside her eye because I wasn't sure what the problem is. I just checked roosters beak and I didn't notice anything inside but what I did notice is that he stopped crowing and it's been a while. I've posted a photo of a chick and a youtube link of a rooster below. I also have one question, if they are really infected with Mycoplasma, is it safe to eat eggs from chickens?

Poor things!
I would have to think that both are suffering from respiratory disease.
You can try Tylosin to see if that makes a difference. Likely you need a script for that since you are in the EU. Tetracycline is also often used to treat symptoms of bacteria-like infections like Mycoplasma as well.

For the hen, I would try to push out all the pus that is in her eye, flush with saline and put an eye ointment in the eye. Repeat a couple of times a day.

Caging or housing them separate so you can get medication into them would be good, especially if they are hard to catch. Depending on what you end up using, you may need to give medicine orally a few times a day or the water would be medicated, so you would want them to have that as their own source of water. You also don't want any other chickens drinking the medicated water unless they are sick too.

Do some reading on respiratory diseases. As far as I know, it's safe to eat eggs from birds that have Mycoplasma as long as you practice safe food handling and cooking guidelines.

Last edited:
In Montenegro, do you have a veterinarian who could prescribe Tylosin, Tiamulin, or Oxytetracycline? Or can you get antibiotics online or locally without a prescription? It looks very much like your chickens have MG, but hard to know for sure without testing. The drugs above can treat MG. Sometimes their can be a secondary infection. Maake sure they are taking water well, and they might need some extra warmth, since sick birds have a hard time keeping their body temperatures regulated. Clean eyes twice a day and make sure their nostrils are open and clear. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

In Montenegro, do you have a veterinarian who could prescribe Tylosin, Tiamulin, or Oxytetracycline? Or can you get antibiotics online or locally without a prescription? It looks very much like your chickens have MG, but hard to know for sure without testing. The drugs above can treat MG. Sometimes their can be a secondary infection. Maake sure they are taking water well, and they might need some extra warmth, since sick birds have a hard time keeping their body temperatures regulated. Clean eyes twice a day and make sure their nostrils are open and clear. Here is some reading about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Thanks for your reply! I surely will try my best, I'm very attached to my chicks. What I'm not sure is whether humans can catch this and are eggs safe to eat, if MG is a definite subject here? I'm new to all this so still in a process of learning!

Eggs are safe to eat, but if you use an antibiotic on the two, discard their eggs for the time they are on them, plus about 2 weeks afterward. If you don’t use an antibiotic, the eggs are safe to eat.

Eggs are safe to eat, but if you use an antibiotic on the two, discard their eggs for the time they are on them, plus about 2 weeks afterward. If you don’t use an antibiotic, the eggs are safe to eat.
Hello Eggcessive, today I noticed that few of my Red Rhodes have bubbles in their eyes as well, some of them even make a squeeking sound when they cough and give a shake with their heads, I suppose they are all infected now so I'll put them all on an antibiotic, it's heartbreaking to watch them struggle :hit so I hope a medicine will give them some relief if nothing else. What I'm not sure is, should I get Tylosin 200 or Tylomax 500? Which one would be more effective? And should I also get some vitamin which would help them with supressing symptoms?

Get a tylosin that you can use for multiple chickens. What do you have available there? It is easier to give it in their water, but whatever type you can get would work. Respiratory diseases can happen in pairs, such as infectious bronchitis and MG as a secondary infection. IB can spread through the whole flock quickly causing sneezing and head shaking. MG usually causes the eye bubbles and swollen eyelids or faces. IB is a virus, so it will last for about a month. MG will probably respond to the Tylosin if they drink enough. Injectable tylosin can be used as injections, or given orally.

Back
Top Bottom