Rooster molt

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nkosinathi, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Nkosinathi

Nkosinathi New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    South Africa
    hy guys ,what really happens when a rooster molts besides losing feathers, does it continue mating?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I don't really know the answer to your question...it wouldn't seem like it would slow him down but I don't know for sure. Others may chime in with a better idea. Good luck and thanks for joining BYC!! Also, if you'd like to chat with fellow South Africa poultry folks, here's the link for that! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/595787/chicken-breeders-or-folks-in-south-africa

3. Nkosinathi

Nkosinathi New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    South Africa
    thanx thanx thanx[​IMG]I'm so happy that atleast there is somewhere where the topic is chickens unlike at home nd I'm the only one who loves chickens

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, we ALL love chickens here! [​IMG]

I would bet it does slow them down. Molting can be stressful on birds. They need much more nutrition to regrow feathers as well. Feathers are made up of 80% protein and sometimes that is hard to get out of their feed. My birds tend to get tired, they sleep a lot, some even get diarrhea and lose their appetites.

Anyway, good luck with your boy and welcome to our roost! :)

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Nkosinathi [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to answer your question; we are not allowed to keep roosters and therefore, I have no experience with them.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I've never had a rooster but what the other greeters say about them molting makes sense (slow down, tired, etc.).

Best wishes to you, thanks for joining us!

8. trifecta

trifecta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Laidley, QLD, Australia
    One of my roosters is moulting right now. It has slowed him down to the point where our juvenile rooster has flipped the flock dynamic and taken over as chief boss.

He is still treating the ladies well but they seem to be less interested in him so yes I think it can affect their breeding behaviour.

9. Nkosinathi

Nkosinathi New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    South Africa
    my rooster has totally stopped and the hens also aren't laying due to molting, ,,just can't wait for things to go back to normal ,,,the last time I collected eggs was in january

10. Nkosinathi

Nkosinathi New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    South Africa
    guys when does a rooster start crowing because i have 2 of them and they at 7 Months old and no crowing yet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by