rooster, mucus HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmin' mama, Feb 19, 2011.

1. farmin' mama

farmin' mama New Egg

Feb 17, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Bantam rooster, young adult

2) What is the behavior, exactly? He was fine yesterday, then when I went out this morning he has mucus all over his beak and in his mouth

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Happened overnight.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation? no clue...

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all? Purina crumbles, plain water

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. They all sleep together, but this morning I noticed some bloody poop...assuming it is him

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? wiped down his beak...

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat at home, if it's not good, or if it seems he will contaminate the rest...we will cull. We intend to eat these guys, I'm not too comfortable with eating vaccinated chickens...do you think we will have to cull them all?

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. "A frame" coop on ground, hay bedding...attached outdoor run...they get to free range when we are outside to make sure our other animals don't get them.

2. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    you might try looking at this website for common poultry diseases https//edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by