Rooster Noise

We rather like the sound. On ours, he does it mostly in the morning. Soon as it is light, he will keep crowing until I bring out the food and water and then he is quiet. He also does it if he sees or hears some sort of problem, or if he hears the roo down the street.

When they start to crow, it is hilarious. Ir sounds sort of like "cocka-a-a-a ahhh cough cough doo" with the pitch falling and rising in a funny way.

Pretty much all depends on the rooster. I've had some that crow a little and others nonstop. Right now, I have a Silkie rooster who only crows in the morning so I keep him in the garage at night and then put him out mid morning when he is done making noise.

Ours are really young, but we have decided that the amount of crowing will be directly proportionate to the amount of chicken in our diet.......

All of mine are loud- the only one that's driving me nuts is the one that starts a round of crowing EVERY morning at 3am!! He crows 3 times and wakes all the other roo's up and they crow a couple times and then everyone goes back to sleep (all in all it lasts less than 3 minutes). I am SO trying to figure out which one it is and he is DEFINITELY going to be dogfood, unless it's capt morgan, my BO roo- he's the only one I got of that breed that's gorgeous and such a gentleman with his hens (and I'm thinking it's him).

I am hearing that people are starting to complain but I'm agricultural and the neighbors decided to put in a trailer park all across the one property line (we have 26 acres). The other people around us have chickens and roo's so it's not like I'm the only one. Actually the one neighbor used to have about 100 roo's (and LOTS more hens) but sold most of them off when he got too old to take care of them. The only difference in neighbors since then (about 10 yrs ago) is the trailer park that's full of retired people...... These people are complaining a little but we are in the country and a few roos were crowing before they moved in. Oh and about a mile away is the cows- they're loving that too. I'm saying all this cuz this is in the country and people are complaining a bit- in the burbs you are gonna have alot more people complaining......

If you have neighbors you hate, get a roo but you may make more enemies than friends....In your situation I wouldn't have roo's.

pop.gif
...so... how'd it go?

Back
Top Bottom