Rooster not acting like a rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, Sep 9, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    My Ameraucana rooster does not crow and doesn't try to mate with the hens. I know this for a fact because when I go near the hens, they squat. I know that with Ameraucanas, it is hard to tell for sure, but this one has a much wider/darker/bigger comb than the other two, also bigger legs and feet, and he has long pointy tail feathers. What is his deal?!? or is it a hen?? *gasp* I sure hope not... I gave away the other rooster thinking I had two!! Oh, he is 6 1/2 months old.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Wow, a rooster that doesn't crow or bug the hens? You could sell that guy for big big bucks! [​IMG]

Seriously, can you post a picture so someone can confirm it is a rooster? i'm not an Ameraucana expert, but have some bantams and i could tell gender at 4-6 weeks.

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, let's see his photo.

[​IMG]

4. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    If it is a hen, I have a beautiful 4 month old that is looking like a roo. I'm not allowed a roo, here, and I will have to find him a new home for free. If anyone wants a nice EE roo, I can post photos. I'm waiting for a crow, hoping it's a hen after all.

5. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I hope to see a response to this, too. I have a 5 month (well, almost 6) GLW roo who is most certainly a rro - he crows and puffs out like a champ. But he doesn't seem interested in our hens one bit. He has jumped on the guinea keets a few times, but never actually "committed" to the act, if you know what I mean!
    Not sure what the deal is!

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have 9 roosters full size only 4 crow funny to see a huge Jersey Giant and he won't say a word.My EE doesn't crow just my Minorca's and Leghorns. I don't keep them with my hens but on the occasions they get in the pasture with them they like the girls [​IMG]

7. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    ok here's a pic of him!

[​IMG]

he is in the front, and an Am hen behind him

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by