Rooster not allowed on roost??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gracegirl16, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Gracegirl16

Gracegirl16 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    When I go out to shut the chickens in at night, the hens won't let the rooster get up on the roost. He sleeps on the floor...any ideas on why that is?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Smart girls. Maybe he's in the dog house? Or in this case Chicken house? [​IMG]

Seriously though....... I have no idea. That is the first time I have heard of that. [​IMG]

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is it a young rooster? My older hens were mean to my rooster until he got old enough to respect.

Lisa

4. Gracegirl16

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    They are all exactly The same age. They have grown up together. I am not sure if it helps, but they are buff orpingtons.

5. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hmm. Maybe they just don't think he's cute enough to sleep with. [​IMG]

6. Gracegirl16

Sep 7, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Lol! I happen to think he is very handsome. Oh well...I guess the girls rule the coop! [​IMG]. I caught him sleeping in a nesting box at one point. [​IMG]

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    He must not be old enough yet to put them in their place.

That'll change over time. If it doesn't you'll need to get another rooster.

8. justinwrites

justinwrites Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Oskaloosa, KS
    at the risk of hijacking your thread. I have a hen who has just decided she's found a better place after several months of roosting in the hen house. 16 feet up in a tree. This behavior started about 2 months after a opossum (deceased) almost had a meal. This has been going on for about a week now. I can't get her down. I"m going to resort to a ladder I think. And then tonight I came out to put them up for the night. She's in her tree, and one of my two roo's is sitting on the rail to my porch sound a sleep!

All I can think is that there must be something bothering them and I can't find it. Ideas?

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I think the problem is the rooster is just plain 0 hen pecked. His gonads have come into play yet. Mine is the first in at night, the first out, and the girls fight to get a seat next to him at night. The meekest one I have are the BO. They wait till all the fussing done, then go in and have a seat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by