Rooster not allowed on roost??

Gracegirl16

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
When I go out to shut the chickens in at night, the hens won't let the rooster get up on the roost. He sleeps on the floor...any ideas on why that is?

Last edited:
Smart girls. Maybe he's in the dog house? Or in this case Chicken house?
gig.gif

Seriously though....... I have no idea. That is the first time I have heard of that.
hu.gif

Lol! I happen to think he is very handsome. Oh well...I guess the girls rule the coop!
smile.png
. I caught him sleeping in a nesting box at one point.
smile.png

at the risk of hijacking your thread. I have a hen who has just decided she's found a better place after several months of roosting in the hen house. 16 feet up in a tree. This behavior started about 2 months after a opossum (deceased) almost had a meal. This has been going on for about a week now. I can't get her down. I"m going to resort to a ladder I think. And then tonight I came out to put them up for the night. She's in her tree, and one of my two roo's is sitting on the rail to my porch sound a sleep!

All I can think is that there must be something bothering them and I can't find it. Ideas?

I think the problem is the rooster is just plain 0 hen pecked. His gonads have come into play yet. Mine is the first in at night, the first out, and the girls fight to get a seat next to him at night. The meekest one I have are the BO. They wait till all the fussing done, then go in and have a seat.

Back
Top Bottom