Rooster not crowing???

hoping4eggs

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 1, 2008
OK.. I know I am going to curse myself for saying this outloud.. But I have a rooster..actually a couple of them with the oldest being about 14 weeks and the youngest 9 weeks. And I have not heard any crowing or attempts at it. I go sit with them almost every evening with hand fed treats and regular feed. Would I be presenting myself as the big roo of the flock and in turn encouraging the others to not crow?? OR are they just all slow to try? How much longer before I need to worry about the fighting? And get them separated? IF my guesses are all correct there are 5 roos to 13 hens. I was planning on keeping 2 roos. Is this possible?

It depends on the roos. I know people that keep several roos together, and they only tussle occasionally. Springtime would be the most likely time for them to really go at it, so maybe you could keep them seperated during those few months.
idunno.gif

Your roosters may just not be ready to crow. And I've found that my alpha rooster crows alot more than his subordinate.
I have two roosters to sixteen hens and I think it works for me for a couple of reasons. I have brahmas and they are docile to start with. My boys have been raised from day one together. Somehow with no fighting they decided early on that Zeus would be the alpha roo and Thor the subordinate. Thor is pretty shy besides.
Zeus crows daily, multiple times. Thor only sneaks in a crow once a week or so. And yes, I can tell their crows apart. They have very different voices.

Mine didn't start till he was 1 day shy of 15 weeks - though they all did the 'stare-off' and the sparring, much earlier than that. I really miss the stare-off - it was such fun to watch!

Oh, they'll crow. Just give'em time. I even had a hen start crowing when we didn't have a rooster for a while. You can get away with two roos, especially if you choose a couple that are more docile.

I have a roo I "knew" was a pullet until about about a month ago. He's 6 months old, hatched spring break. He still hasn't crowed. He's a sweetie. Too bad he's not going to lay any eggs for me, though. He's the lowest roo on the totem pole for sure. Fairy roo. no offense to anyone intended. His name is Snowflake. He has an extremely small comb, smaller than any hens his age or older. He's not an EE. He's buff orpington X red broiler.

Our roo didnt crow until 5 months old. He is a pretty laid back guy...I think they all differ.

Omlet is pretty laid back.. He likes to be the first one to greet anyone who comes out there and talks to the chickens..although I do suspect it might have more to do with seeing what treats he can steal or beg from you more than anything:lol: He doesnt do the manly roo thing and share treats readily... But he is quite handsome..And so full of personality too. Can anyone tell me how to put pictures up?

Back
Top Bottom