Rooster not feeling well, any thoughts on using silver water?

A Creekside Retreat

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2018
Hi,

I’ve read a few threads about sick roosters and wondering if anyone has ever used silver water on their hens or rooster? He started not getting up on the perch two nights ago and we thought maybe he had injured his foot as stayed up once we put him there... today he kinda just laid down after eating some meal worms. He’s easy to catch, not running around. Standing and laying. We also don’t think he has been crowing. His comb and waddles seem slightly cooler than expected but still red (Come more so than waddles). The waddles are slightly pale towards bottom with little bits of purple. Don’t see any worms in his loose stools or bugs on him. We currently have him inside where it is a little warmer and he’s comfortably resting in a large crate. He laid on my lap while I held and rubbed him and just closed his eyes and relaxed. We figure he will either get better or worse by tomorrow... was mostly curious if anyone has used silver water for such symptoms successfull?

We thank you all!

Can you post any pictures of him, his legs ,and his wattles? Can you get some Poultry Cell vitamins with electrolytes and give him 2 ml daily for a few days? How cold is it where you live? Have you seen any signs of frostbite? What is silver water? Do you mean colloidal silver? I don’t have any experience with that. Is he eating and drinking normally?

Thank you for your input. I called our local feed store where we purchased him as a chick and they don’t carry anything to help (small town) so trying to use what we have on hand to get him through tonight. And yes, colloidal silver water is what I was talking about. I took him out and he stood still and then pooped...

Attachments

• 7967918A-1167-4006-94AC-9704A1AB0A1B.jpeg
    7967918A-1167-4006-94AC-9704A1AB0A1B.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 7325A68D-056C-4910-9B1D-FF4D34398888.jpeg
    7325A68D-056C-4910-9B1D-FF4D34398888.jpeg
    534.7 KB · Views: 6
  • A3A8ECCD-7A0A-45F1-8B8D-5CF176A0E29C.jpeg
    A3A8ECCD-7A0A-45F1-8B8D-5CF176A0E29C.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 5
  • 74F7E139-CAED-42F6-9DD4-4423B065A38F.jpeg
    74F7E139-CAED-42F6-9DD4-4423B065A38F.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 5
  • B4258F28-8BE5-4377-8F7F-53EDECD371F0.jpeg
    B4258F28-8BE5-4377-8F7F-53EDECD371F0.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 21107738-51CE-44D8-ADB3-7CEB63182320.jpeg
    21107738-51CE-44D8-ADB3-7CEB63182320.jpeg
    489.7 KB · Views: 5
It hasn’t been too cold here. About 50 during the day and 30’s at night so I don’t think it’s frostbite. He did eat some meal worms from us but not as many as normal. He hasn’t touched the food in the crate. I was thinking of trying the liquid infant vitamins I have diluted in the silver water since I don’t have special chicken ones. Was also thinking of trying yogurt but other than that and keeping him inside (warmer than outside) I’m not too sure what other immediate things I can do.

I can order the vitamins off amazon or somewhere... do you have one that you recommend? The poultry cell one is different that the vitamins with electrolytes on amazon and I’m not sure which one is better...

Most feed stores and TSC have Poultry Cell and Poultry NutriDrench, and Vitamins with Lactobacillus, other vitamins. The first 2 can be fed directly into his beak for a quick boost, while the last one goes into his water. You can also buy an inexpensive bottle of human vitamin B complex tablets (not B12,) and crush 1/4 tablet daily into his food or 1 tablet per gallon of water. Any of those would be good. If you already have the baby vitamins, you can give him 1/2 ml into his beak once a day.

Some foods that I offer a sick chicken are bits of scrambled egg, chicken feed made wet with water in a small bowl, canned cat food, a spoonful of cottage cheese or plain yogurt, or tuna. Just put a few bits of any of those along with his wet feed, to try to see what he might take. You don’t have to try all of those, those are just suggestions.

His droppings look like pure urates. One reason for that can be dehydration or kidney issues. If you can get some droppings collected and take them in to your local vet for a fecal float, they could look for parasites.

He unfortunately did not last more than an hour after I posted this... we did try some baby vitamins but were too late. They always have fresh water available so I’m not sure he would’ve been dehydrated. hes the rooster we never wanted and are devastated to see go for sure. I did order some vitamins I’ll give to the girls going forward. Thanks for the advice and information, much appreciated

Sorry for your sudden loss. If you still have his body, I would wrap it in a plastic bag and keep it cold. Then call your state poultry vet to arrange for a necropsy. They could look for something that might be contagious or tell you if it was natural causes. What state are you in? Here is a list of state pouktry vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Sorry for your sudden loss. If you still have his body, I would wrap it in a plastic bag and keep it cold. Then call your state poultry vet to arrange for a necropsy. They could look for something that might be contagious or tell you if it was natural causes. What state are you in? Here is a list of state pouktry vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

He has already been buried. None of our hens are acting weird at all so hoping it was just him. The ones in Utah are hours away, we live in SE Utah. Small town living has pluses and minuses. I did give the ladies the vitamins in their water though so that should help the flock going forward...

Mr Aura will be missed dearly by our family. Here’s him window peeping in his prime. Thank you again for the information & support

Attachments

• 22BE68C2-C6A8-434C-9E3E-5B2272B209D9.jpeg
    22BE68C2-C6A8-434C-9E3E-5B2272B209D9.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom