Rooster Not in the Mood??????? Ever!

I have a rooster Oskar that did not seem at all interested in jumping his girls for a whole year. I have now borrowed a second rooster Sune and moved out Oskar to solitary confinement in the hope of getting some chicks. I would still love to have chicks from Oskar, he is an old Flemmish breed, adn we like to keep the genetic material. Do you think putting one of the hens with him after a while can induce him to jump them?

I had a rooster like that years ago. It was a RIR bantam and it wanted nothing to do with the hens. He was a pet and didn't want to be in with the hens. I actually named him Little Red Hen, LRH because he didn't even crow until he was almost five months.

that is a good thought.. but then they might want to adopt chickens!... and will those chickens all crow? I sometimes wonder if he is more interested in larger hens, as he seemed to fraternize with my large layers, but showed no interest in his small own breed hens. His salvation has been that he is too small for ''coque au vin''. He had a rabbit friend for a while though, and they really seemed to like each other

Well my little guy must be neutral. When ever he has been let out he runs at all the roosters and picks fights. Now he is an OE bantam so he is about the size of my shoe. Some of my roos are huge and could just step on the poor guy. I picked him up today to inspect his "area" and noticed that he had some lice so I treated him for that but oddly enough, the girls don't have a single bug on them....treated them anyway, just in case. Maybe that is why he isn't jumping the girls, he is too itchy. Or the girls are treating him like he has the plague. :) We shall see.

catharinaberge,

Good idea. I use same with fishes where a teaser / rival male riles up intended sire, otherwise intended sires can sometimes be deadheads.

Last edited:
That is great news. I still have hope. I have a new hen (loaner hen), and Oskar is all alone with her. In another pen sits a loaner rooster Sune with my 3 other hens. It may have been the problem with the hens not letting the rooster cover them. I saw that with the new rooster, Sune, he would run himself tired after my old hens.. and they just ran away. So now I put them in a small place where they can not run as far from the rooster... so I am still hoping for some harvest.

Back
Top Bottom