Rooster not producing semen

jonnyasil

Hatching
Oct 6, 2015
So I've had my rooster with two hens for some time now and they haven't had eggs. I was wondering why so I decided to see if he was producing any semen and found out he wasn't. Instead of sperm it was more of liquid and black stuff coming out!! Anyone can tell me what's going on?

How old are the hens? Having a rooster with them wont make them lay eggs... they will do that on their own. If they are of laying age maybe they are going through a molt or some other factor is keeping them from laying.

How old are the hens? Having a rooster with them wont make them lay eggs... they will do that on their own. If they are of laying age maybe they are going through a molt or some other factor is keeping them from laying. 

The hens are young. Maybe 1 to 2 years. I don't think the hens are the problem bc I'll put them with another rooster and they lay but when I put them with that certain rooster, they just stop laying. The rooster ain't but 1.5 years old.

Hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs ... Just like a teenage girl (human) when old enough starts to lay eggs every month ... (Menstral period)

Chickens pee and poop out of the same place, usually called the vent ... Not sure how you checked for sperm, but sounds like you found poop.

Chickens don't like stress, changing things cause chickens stress ... Adding a new rooster is stress ... This could cause them to stop laying for awhile.

Is he mounting the hens? If so, do they wiggle/wag/shake their tail after he gets off their back (mating only takes a few seconds, so easy to miss)

Last edited:
He's young, and is probably stressing them out. Older roosters are better to have with hens. If I have one of my young boys in with hens they stop laying. He's too...'eager'. It should get better as he gets older and calms down.

Hens don't need a rooster to lay eggs ... Just like a teenage girl (human) when old enough starts to lay eggs every month ... (Menstral period)

Chickens pee and poop out of the same place, usually called the vent ... Not sure how you checked for sperm, but sounds like you found poop.

Chickens don't like stress, changing things cause chickens stress ... Adding a new rooster is stress ... This could cause them to stop laying for awhile.

Is he mounting the hens? If so, do they wiggle/wag/shake their tail after he gets off their back (mating only takes a few seconds, so easy to miss)

He is pretty shy so I'm not even sure if he is mounting the hens. My other young rooster his age don't have an issue mating.

Back
Top Bottom