Rooster not recovering from lice

So rooster is worse today. Still eats meal worms when we throw them in front of him but looks like balance is off and isn’t eating or drinking regularly. Still very weak. Any ideas? I’m completely out of things to try. Breaking my heart
Do you have a picture of the rooster?

Few things come to mind.
#1 how did you treat with the poultry dust?
Best thing I found for applying is small powder bottle(baby powder type) I make my own using a small Gatorade bottle and punching/drilling several small holes in the cap.
To apply to chicken you separate feathers at the vent and give a good puff.
Next lift each wing, where the wing meets the body give another good puff.
Next separate feathers behind the neck and shoulders apply a puff there also.
Application completed, apply a 2nd treatment in 7-10 day.

Also this rooster might have some other underlying issues that makes him have poor hygiene for lack of a better word. If he doesn’t regularly take care of himself he will likely get lice again and again.

If he has/had lice you should treat the whole flock.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Few things come to mind.
Best thing I found for applying is small powder bottle(baby powder type) I make my own using a small Gatorade bottle and punching/drilling several small holes in the cap.

Also this rooster might have some other underlying issues that makes him have poor hygiene for lack of a better word. If he doesn’t regularly take care of himself he will likely get lice again and again.

Using pantyhose as a powder puff works even better and you end up with far less waste.

Do you have a picture of the rooster?
I will get one in the morning. I really can’t spot anything obviously wrong. All the lice seem to be gone from his body and particularly his vent. I’m wondering if the treatments we used messed him up? Or maybe he is still anemic from the lice? But we’ve been giving him vitamins in the water and now chick food and dried meal worms. I’m not sure what else to try. He’s pooping. He eats when we throw worms in front of him but has stopped really eating regular food. Definitely off balance today which is new. Poor guy.

I think his diet history is most relevant here.......layer feed.
But we have had roosters for years that are fine with the feed. Seems odd just this one would have trouble. Regardless, we have changed his food to chick starter as suggested earlier in this thread. Is there something else to do to help with calcium imbalance (if that’s what you think the problem is from layer feed?)

Has a fecal float been done to rule out internal parasites?
Few things come to mind.

we sprinkled it on his back mostly and tried to puff some near his vent. We did it two days in a row because we didn’t feel like we put enough on the first night. Then in five six days we checked again, saw no adult lice but wanted to treat for eggs so we used Elector PSP sprayed right on his vent. We did the dust the whole flock as week with the gardstar dust and thoroughly cleaned the cooops out twice. All other birds seem fine. We have 40+ hens and two other juvenile roosters that act fine.

Has a fecal float been done to rule out internal parasites?
Not sure what a fecal float is but will look it up. Thank you -update, it looks like you need to get set up with a microscope to see any parasite eggs. This will take us a while to get set up. It also looks difficult to actually spot and identify the parasites. Are there any other ways to test for internal parasites?

Last edited:
Not sure what a fecal float is but will look it up. Thank you -update, it looks like you need to get set up with a microscope to see any parasite eggs. This will take us a while to get set up. It also looks difficult to actually spot and identify the parasites. Are there any other ways to test for internal parasites?
Actually you can order a decal float sample kit online and then you return the sample back to them. They will give you the results of what they find.
Bring it to your vet if you have one and they normally can do a decal float or the send it out themselves. Usually about $40-$60

Back
Top Bottom