Rooster not sleeping on roosts

tlee9920

Hatching
Aug 10, 2022
Maryland
My rooster is about 3 years old and used to not have a problem at all with roosting and even would climb to the very top roost(I have three roosts). Now he won’t sleep on the roosts and I tried to put him up, but he came back down every time. He is a Rhode Island Red, there are only 8 chickens including him, and one spur is much longer than the other. Do the spurs have anything to do with this? Also, a couple wing feathers, the ones at the end, seem to have broken in half and I think that may also be a reason. I had separated the rooster for a while before because the hens would pick at his tail feathers and everything grew back. Any help is appreciated.

I will attach photos tomorrow. Yes, everything has been normal except where he sleeps. Eating is normal and all his poop looks healthy. It just might be the spurs.

He just eats the layer mini pellets. Given that there isn’t rooster specific feed and that would be a huge hassle to try and keep the hens from eating. Eating is normal meaning he is eating, drinking, and pooping regularly so there isn’t an issue with that.

He just eats the layer mini pellets. Given that there isn’t rooster specific feed and that would be a huge hassle to try and keep the hens from eating. Eating is normal meaning he is eating, drinking, and pooping regularly so there isn’t an issue with that.
Him eating layer feed his entire life maybe his problem. All that extra calcium is not good for males or for that matter, females that are not actively laying. That is why quite a good number of members here feed their flocks either All Flock or Flock Raiser with oyster shell available on the side for the active layers.

Photos of the spurs and roosts might help. If the spur is causing discomfort during roosting that might explain it. Usually that would be a spur that has grown around so it is poking a hole in his leg or is interfering with him putting his foot down. If either of these is the case he has more problems than just roosting.

I had separated the rooster for a while before because the hens would pick at his tail feathers and everything grew back.
This raises a flag for me. It sounds like he is not very dominant by nature. Typically the more dominant get to sleep wherever they want. They usually want the highest spot available. Has the pecking order changed lately? This is often caused by adding or subtracting flock members. It doesn't have to be another male, sometimes a hen can rule the roost even with a mature rooster present. This type of behavior would not surprise me from a deposed former flock master. If this were the case you'd probably has seen some fighting or chasing but you don't always. Changes in their society sometimes just happen without us noticing.

Do you have any idea what caused those wing feathers to be broken? Has he been in a scuffle with a predator? I'd consider a hawk or dog most likely but it could be about anything. If a chicken is injured he or she is much easier deposed from their pecking order position. Just being attacked can affect how they behave.

Have you changed the layout in the coop? Any new construction or removal? Has anything changed.

I don't know what us causing that behavior. A photo of the spurs may help us eliminate that or suggest a fix. It's probably not likely since they have been used for years but a shot of the roosts might raise a flag.

715F4FB9-0D25-456E-AF67-8887E421D6F9.jpeg
D01D0300-6C34-4395-8516-A7D18A4BD67E.jpeg

Him eating layer feed his entire life maybe his problem. All that extra calcium is not good for males or for that matter, females that are not actively laying. That is why quite a good number of members here feed their flocks either All Flock or Flock Raiser with oyster shell available on the side for the active layers.
I definitely considered that, but the main issue is price. The closest store that sells chicken feed is Tractor supply and near $30 for a single 50lb bag(more than $2 a pound) is a crazy price comparing to the layer feed.

Also, in terms of the broken feathers, no, he has not ever been in a fight with other animals. Also, the spurs have been removed at one point( the outside shell) because they were getting incredibly long and I was concerned when mating, they might hurt the hens.

Back
Top Bottom