Rooster Only Flock

I have post history here that you can see for yourself where I attempt to dissuade people from keeping female only flocks. That isn't the subject of this particular thread though, so it should be irrelevant

Red Junglefowl are polygamous by nature and combat one another over females. Chickens overwhelming maintain this same trait, though I'm sure cowardly chickens exist, and humans can also modify behavior artificially to some extent. Socialization or lack thereof can cause dramatic behavioral changes

Ridiculous. I can barely handle one woman. Having any more around would be torture.
I simply feel bad for animals in unnatural environments, and an all-male coop is about as opposite nature as one can get
You said yourself that junglefowl gather in all-male flocks. So I wouldn’t say they’re “as opposite nature as one can get”.

You said yourself that junglefowl gather in all-male flocks. So I wouldn’t say they’re “as opposite nature as one can get”.
The natural life of a red junglefowl begins as a chick with a broody hen, then eventually the mother rejects them, and they continue maturing with the flock until puberty. At this point the pullets remain with the flock and the cockerels leave, either staying solo or forming small male bands until they're strong enough to form their own flocks

Creating an all-male flock is damning roosters to perpetual adolescence. That's the unnatural part. Old men living like teenage boys forever. It could certainly be worse, like a border collie living in an apartment, but it's still far from ideal

In my experience having them in adjoining pens with wire between etc is actually worse, as they never really establish dominance and are endlessly at odds. Eventually the wire wears away and one breaks in and a fight starts when I'm not around/expecting it, which I'd rather avoid.

The natural life of a red junglefowl begins as a chick with a broody hen, then eventually the mother rejects them, and they continue maturing with the flock until puberty. At this point the pullets remain with the flock and the cockerels leave, either staying solo or forming small male bands until they're strong enough to form their own flocks

Creating an all-male flock is damning roosters to perpetual adolescence. That's the unnatural part. Old men living like teenage boys forever. It could certainly be worse, like a border collie living in an apartment, but it's still far from ideal
From what I’ve read, adult male junglefowl can still be found in all-male flocks. And, if what you’re saying is true, there’s no “old men” junglefowl, because they just get killed by younger males once they’re past their prime.

Having everything perfectly identical to nature is impossible, even in a mixed flock. Owning chickens is fundamentally unnatural, as is every single breed of domestic chicken (including gamefowl, which were bred to be much more aggressive towards each other than even their wild ancestors). Domestic chickens wouldn’t survive in the same environment their ancestors did.

Having everything perfectly identical to nature is impossible, even in a mixed flock. Owning chickens is fundamentally unnatural
There's a limit to all things. People should contemplate the happiness of their animals and the conditions they live under. It makes me feel sad to see a husky that lives in an apartment in Florida
Domestic chickens wouldn’t survive in the same environment their ancestors did.
There are many places in this world filled with feral chickens and landrace. Egyptian Fayoumi for example have evolved to fit alongside the Nile River and in Egyptian oasis

There's a limit to all things. People should contemplate the happiness of their animals and the conditions they live under. It makes me feel sad to see a husky that lives in an apartment in Florida

There are many places in this world filled with feral chickens and landrace. Egyptian Fayoumi for example have evolved to fit alongside the Nile River and in Egyptian oasis
Interesting that feral chickens are adapting and living in places outside of their native range. That, by itself, is unnatural, but really shows that chickens can thrive in a variety of conditions, even ones that aren’t identical to their “natural” state.

It could be a lot worse. They could be like 90% of the males; dead.

Most people on this site keep female-only flocks, many of them in large runs rather than free range. Would you view that as a female prison? If so, I think it’s unfair to target rooster-only flocks in particular when you’re against same-sex flocks in general.

Once, my rooster flock and my mixed flock were let out by a family friend while I wasn’t home. When I got back, no one was dead. There was no blood bath. Things were tense, but the roosters did not fight to the death. In fact, many of them didn’t show interest in the hens. Roosters are always going to be flirtatious. That doesn’t mean they’re miserable when they don’t have a hen to flirt with. It seems that you’re anthropomorphizing; assuming that all roosters would want the same things you would personally want if you “were” a rooster. Since we can’t turn into chickens, I think it’s much better to base how they feel on how they act, rather than how we think we would act if we were them.
Well said.

I have a bachelor pen. Normally I cull them every fall. This year I kept 4 of them so they are now almost 9 months old. They seemed to get along fine except for some pecking order squabbles until the past month when they all ganged up on the smallest roo. It got so bad and bloody that I ended up separating the little guy. He has a dog house he sleeps in now with a fence between him and the others to keep him safe.

Ironically I have 6 roosters that mingle with my girls in my regular coops. Other than minor squabbles on rare occasion, they never fight... But that's because they have plenty of room and girls to go around.

Back
Top Bottom