Rooster only mating with one hen

MyTMo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 22, 2014
Novato, CA
Hello
I am hoping to get some advice so please chime in! I have 3- 1 year old hens and 7- 3.5 month old pullets and 1 3.5 month old rooster. So far everyone gets along fairly well. The rooster is very friendly but wants to mate with my older hens. He doesnt seem to bother the younger ones yet. He has only been successful in mating my lowest in the pecking order Welsummer or tries to mate with her. I dont think she wants to so he is pulling out her head feathers. I havent noticed any blood but I am concerned.
should I seperate her now? When will he start mating with the other hens?
thanks!

When they first start to mate it can be ugly. If there is no blood I would leave it go. The reason he is only mating one and the lowest mature bird is he has to work his way up the order. The ones higher in the pecking order have to be convinced the young cockerel is worth mating with. How long that will take is will be answered in time. You will just have to stay tuned and see.

Den pretty much hit it on the head.
Those old hens will probably teach him some manners,
but if he start harassing the pullets too much,
you might want to put him in a separate enclosure until he calms down or until the pullets start laying.
Lots of space and 'hiding places' for the girls to get away from him can help immensely.

Den pretty much hit it on the head.
Those old hens will probably teach him some manners,
but if he start harassing the pullets too much,
you might want to put him in a separate enclosure until he calms down or until the pullets start laying.
Lots of space and 'hiding places' for the girls to get away from him can help immensely.

Thanks Aart. The ladies do have a berry bush they spend time under. I think this is there getaway from Rico spot

Yeah I have a silver laced Wyandotte crossed with something that has VERY long legs and he only seems to have eyes for my little quiet little silkie.. He's not interested in the gold laced Wyandotte that is his size... I have 3 silkie hens (he's also not interested in the other two)and the gold. I'm worried she's too small for him..
The gold lace may be his sister I got them together (is that possible) (it also crows) I'm going to get another hen and hope that he leaves her alone but not sure if it will help or if he just loves her... I have never seen a picky rooster
1f60a.png

Yeah I have a silver laced Wyandotte crossed with something that has VERY long legs and he only seems to have eyes for my little quiet little silkie.. He's not interested in the gold laced Wyandotte that is his size... I have 3 silkie hens (he's also not interested in the other two)and the gold. I'm worried she's too small for him..
The gold lace may be his sister I got them together (is that possible) (it also crows) I'm going to get another hen and hope that he leaves her alone but not sure if it will help or if he just loves her... I have never seen a picky rooster
1f60a.png
How old is the 'rooster'?
The silkie may be the only who submits to him.

He's only about 8months old he only realised he was a boy about a month ago so he's new to it all I wasn't sure if it was fairly normal to pick on one hen or not.

I'm not sure if submits it's the right word she tries to get away he doesn't let her.. I'm worried she's too small for him but don't really want to get rid of him.. If getting more hens would help id do that but I'm wondering if they usually tend to pick on one at first

Hard to say if he's young and stupid or just has no, and never will have, any sense and manners.
Did he grow up from a chick at your place or is he new to you?

Back
Top Bottom